Saturday, August 29, 2020

Mr. Green Thumb Strikes Again

 

Master Cubby

(Not at all chubby)

How does your garden grow?

With lettuce heads,

And snowpea beds,

And everything all in a row.


A few weeks ago, when A. and I were planting peas, carrots (successful), sprouting broccoli, and collard greens (not so much), Cubby asked if he could have some seeds for a fall garden.

A. showed him where he could plant, I gave him lettuce, snowpea, and cabbage seeds, and he dug out some trenches and made himself a garden.

I suggested to him today that perhaps he needed to thin his lettuce and gave him a bowl for the thinnings. This is what he brought in:


Boom.

If a green thumb is real, then Cubby has it. On both hands. 

Not that this is totally unexpected. I mean, he did start successfully solo gardening when he was five years old. And he was the reserve champion for vegetables at the county fair last year.

Maybe by the time he's fifteen he'll have a market garden and I can buy all my produce from him. I wouldn't be surprised.

7 comments:

Gemma's person said...

Winner , winner chicken dinner. Master gardener at 15. He can do it without even trying. I really am impressed by his , just go ahead and do it attitude. He is a good example for the rest to follow.

Anonymous said...

And what beautiful lettuce he has harvested! Please let us know if it tastes as good as it looks.

Anonymous said...

Good job, Cubby!
Linda

Anonymous said...

Oh man. That's fantastic.

Karen.

Cheryl said...

Good job for your son. I don't have a green thumb. Wanted to tell you I belong to a CSA and two weeks ago received a watermelon with seeds. I always bought seedless but I wasn't getting rid of a whole watermelon. I remember you writing about that is the only type you buy. It was delicious, I'll never buy seedless again.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Cheryl: That's great. ANOTHER FOR TEAM SEEDS! The seedless ones really don't compare.

tu mere said...

Does he plan to eat any of the fruits of his labor, or is this just an exercise in honing gardening skills. Whatever the reason it's all good since all will get eaten by someone/thing.