Wednesday, September 2, 2020

The Fourth First

The First Haircut is a classic example of what happens the more children a person has. Let me offer my own children for illustration.

Cubby the Firstborn's first haircut was at an actual salon. He wore a little cape with colorful frogs on it; I took a picture; and I paid ten dollars for the experience.

Charlie the Second Born's first haircut was in the bathtub when I noticed his hair when wet was entirely too long. No cape, no photos of the event, although I did get a couple of photos of his hair after it was done.

I have no recollection whatsoever of Jack the Third Born's first haircut. Definitely no photos, no post, not even any memory of it.

Then there's Poppy the Fourth Born's first haircut. I have a picture of it, but only because it happened in our kitchen and because A. was her stylist.

His services are very reasonably priced.

The only reason she got a haircut is because she demanded it after watching A. cut my hair.

I asked him to do this because my hair had gotten really kind of ridiculously long. I usually get it cut about every six months. Last year, that was when we were in New York in the summer, and thus only ten miles from a salon, and when I took my solo trip to a small city overnight in January, and thus had time to myself in close proximity to a salon.

I am not now, however, in close proximity to a salon, nor do I wish to drive 90 miles to get to one. So I asked A. if he could cut my hair.

Now. My hair is long, which is forgiving of, um, slightly irregular haircuts and mistakes, but it is also very curly. The curls are the tricky part. I always ask for layers. So this wasn't a snip straight across the bottom I was asking for.

However, A. is a handy guy who enjoys new challenges, so he did some YouTube research and announced himself ready. 

He collected his supplies--a comb, my sewing scissors, and two hair ties--asked me to wet and comb out my hair, and then had me sit in a kitchen chair with my head hanging down, as you see Poppy doing in the above photo.

He had decided it would be best to use the methods for self-cutting curly hair, but to do it for me. This involves combing all the hair over the hanging head and putting it in a ponytail before trimming, then sectioning some off in another ponytail and trimming again for the layering. 

There was a third ponytail for a third layer, but it would have made my hair in front too short to pull back, which is a key concern for me. So he just did the two.

It came out well. Poppy's came out even better. A. was very pleased with his handiwork, as he should be, and I am very pleased that I no longer have to try to find a way to drive a hundred miles and pay 30 dollars for a haircut.

So now I cut the boys' hair, A. cuts the girls', and we all live happily ever after. 

The End.


6 comments:

Mary W said...

I'm glad it all turned out OK. That picture doesn't look like a touching father-daughter moment. Poppy's headstrongedness (new word?) reminds me of my younger sister (also a fourth child).

Anonymous said...

This is pretty brilliant. Masonry. Bus driving. Key cutting. Hair cutting. Game butchering. I dunno; this is a hell of a resume. And they're all side gigs.

Karen.

Gemma's person said...

I agree with Karen and Mary W.
All you guys are da bomb.
As self sufficient as one gets nowadays.

mil said...

Two things: I think that Jack was number three on the south patio when A. buzzed off the hair of the older boys. He never had hair long enough to comb but always lined up with the other boys for A's ministrations.
Second thing: if anybody has symptoms of appendicitis, please drive to the nearest emergency room, lest Adam look up the surgery on Youtube (I imagine that he could do an appendectomy, but it might not be the best course of action---)

Anonymous said...

Way to go, A. I keep asking my husband to cut my hair, but he is not up for the challenge.
Linda

Gemma's person said...

Linda, With you tube you can do anything. ;)