Friday, January 22, 2021

Friday Food: Leftovers Save the Week

Friday

Short version: Curried chicken with potatoes and carrots, rice

Long version: I took out the big bag of chicken leg quarters from the freezer and used about 2/3 of them for this. All I did was poach the chicken until I could pull it off the bone, then chop the meat up. In a separate big skillet, I fried onions and sweet yellow curry powder, then added chopped potatoes and carrots with the chicken, plus the liquid from poaching the chicken, and simmered that until everything was tender. Last I added some frozen peas (one-bowl meal! hooray!) and sour cream.

I always add sour cream or heavy cream or yogurt to curry. I'm sure that's not traditional, but it's what I like. And I certainly have no lack of sour cream right now, thanks to the THREE-POUND TUB A. bought.


This is what three pounds of sour cream (and a mug for scale) looks like.  Impressive.

Saturday

Short version: Baked honey-mustard chicken, garlic bread, and frozen corn for the children, taco meat and mashed squash for the adults

Long version: I didn't have enough chicken for everyone to have some, but that's okay, because A. and I are not as enthused about chicken as the children are. We were happy with the taco meat I made a long time ago and took out of the freezer, and the children were happy with their chicken.

Well, except for Jack, who said the meat was "too sweet." Guess he's not a fan of honey-mustard (which I made by literally combining Dijon mustard and honey). But then he had three tacos after he ate about half his chicken, so he was happy in the end, too.

Sunday

Short version: Fried pork, roasted potatoes, mashed squash, frozen green beans, apple crumble with cream

Long version: Another giant chunk of pork from the even more giant package I split up last week. We're getting another cow for the freezer in a few weeks, so I'm working on getting some of the bulkier items out of there. Those huge pork chunks are definitely bulky.

I made the crumble because I had a bag of apples that I bought just a couple of weeks ago, but that were already inexplicably soft and no good for fresh eating. Almost like they got partially frozen. I hate when that happens. So I peeled them all, sliced them up in a casserole, added sugar, cinnamon, and lemon juice, and topped them with a combination of oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter, and baked the whole thing along with the pork.

Is it a crumble if it has oats? Or is that a crisp? Who cares. The kids all liked it, and it used up the apples in what is actually a relatively healthy dessert, given the small amount of sugar I used in it. Win.

Monday

Short version: Bunless hamburgers, bread and butter, frozen peas, leftover mashed squash

Long version: More of the hamburgers I pre-made and stuck in the freezer. A good night for them, as we started back to in-person school this day, and it was a work day for me. We were all pretty tired.

Tuesday

Short version: Creamy green chili beef soup, cheese

Long version: I woke up this morning to this outside.


Well, actually, the sun wasn't up when I woke up, but the snow sure was blowing.

School was cancelled, and I thought, "Well, no point in cleaning up the house like I was planning on doing if all four of the children are going to be rampaging around. I shall make stock instead."

There were three packages of soup bones still in the big freezer from the last cow we got, three years ago. Better use those up before we get the next cow!

The bones were big enough that I needed to use my pressure cooker/canner pot anyway to cook them, so I decided to just use it as a pressure cooker first (not every pressure canner is also a cooker, but mine is) to make the stock, and then, while I still had it out, can the stock.

So I did. It took awhile, but at least it provided some distraction from the incredible mess and chaos that swirled around the house all day as the boys scattered every single one of their toys across every room of the house.

I just love snow days.

Anyway. 

Those bones yielded about four cups of meat, so with that, some of the stock, onion, garlic,  tomatoes, carrots, celery, potatoes, a lot of roasted green chilis, frozen green beans, and some sour cream at the end, I made a soup. Which we ate with cheese. Yup.

Oh! And I also put in about a cup of shredded calabacita from the freezer, and none of my children noticed. Ha! Now I know what to do with all summer squash: shred it, freeze it, and hide it in stews and soups in the winter. Sneaky.

Wednesday

Short version: Half tacos, half pork and sauerkraut, all frozen peas

Long version: It was a workday for me, which often means leftovers. This time I had some leftover pork, but not enough for everyone. And some leftover taco meat, but not enough for everyone.

I fried the pork with a jar of rinsed sauerkraut (hooray for the Megaton cabbages!) and heated the taco meat with cheese in corn tortillas.

Luckily, the half of the family that does not appreciate pork and sauerkraut does very much like tacos. Even better, Cubby was the only child who wanted the pork, and thus the only child who needed a separate starch. I had just one serving of leftover roasted potatoes in the refrigerator, which I fried for him along with the pork. 

I just love it when things fall into place like that.

Thursday

Short version: More leftovers

Long version: I had an unusual Thursday workday because Charlie's teacher needed a substitute, so we had more leftovers for dinner. Some of the same leftovers as the night before, as a matter of fact.

The same three family members had the same kind of tacos with the same leftover meat, plus the same peas, also leftover.

The other three had leftover beef soup, with cheese. And thus did I reach the end of another successful week of carefully nourishing my family. Ahem.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to try your curried chicken dish this week. Sounds good! I always make chicken divan with curry.
takeout
baked pork chops, stuffing, sweet potatoes with spinach & mushrooms on the side & Pots de Creme
homemade stromboli, salad, Pots de Creme
chicken casserole, carrots, garlic knots, Pots de Creme
chicken taco's
mini meatloaves, roasted cauliflower, carrots & mushrooms, garlic knots
And for tonight, roasted oven fries with sirloin & cheese on top, cauliflower on the side.
Linda

Jody said...

Also hide the squash in baked oatmeal, muffins, spaghetti sauce, brownies, etc. The key, if they don't like squash, is to make sure it's added in small amounts. (I'm planning on adding pumpkin to my muffins this morning-- 1 cup per dozen muffins.) I do use pureed squash mostly, but if it is shredded, I don't think it tastes much different. You just see the flecks of it more.

Andra said...

Yay for hiding squash! We had the following meals:
-Fish, rice, roasted kale
-Spaghetti and homemade meatballs with French bread and more roasted kale
-Honey Sesame chicken with rice and green
beans (baked potatoes for the kiddo who
doesn’t like rice)
-Paleo(ish) Mississippi Pot roast with potatoes, carrots, skillet corn bread

mil said...

Friday: I still had some polenta from the big batch I made last week, so I ate that with breakfast sausage. And I had a lettuce salad.
Saturday: I baked yet another lovely russet potato and had it with refried beans, salsa, and blue corn potato chips. Maybe a bit heavy on starches, but it was all good.
Sunday: Salad with chickpeas and tuna.
Monday: Baked potato, salad, baked Alaska cod. And I took out of the freezer the pecan pie that came as a bonus with an order from nuts.com. So I ate some. Way sweet, but pecan pie. Enough said.
Tuesday: Tomato, chickpea, and tuna casserole. Baked potato.
Wednesday: Porterhouse steak, salad, and roasted carrots and parsnips.
Thursday: Tomato soup, made with stock that was on hand and half a jar of tomatoes.
Leftover steak, Baked potato. Not surprisingly, I need to get more potatoes.

Kay said...

Large cuts of meat means leftovers. And as you know, lots of leftovers are great for large families. I know that also and so do our sons who both have large families. Which is funny. We only had the 2. But I came from a family of 5 kids. Dh, only 2. I guess the boys missed not having more siblings. One now has 5 kids and the other has soon to be 4. I love lots of grandbabies!

My meals:
Sat: Leftover take-out pizza found in the freezer
Sun: Apricot-BBQ meatballs and smokies.
Mon: Chopped Salads
Tues: Quesadillas, black beans, yellow rice, lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, sour cream
Wed: Eggs, Bacon, Toast
Thurs: Date Night at the Steak House: Ribs for him, Chicken-fried Chicken for me. The Caesar Salad was the best part of the meal for me. I could have eat twice the amount served.
Fri: (tonight) Find your Own. He had tomato soup & grilled cheese. I have leftover yellow rice and the BBQ meatballs.

Anonymous said...

Another week when I am able to remember all of our dinners! I am trying use up some of the food that has been in the freezer for a while.

Friday - leftover chicken, mashed potatoes and peas w/bacon
Saturday - pizza with red sauce, andouille sausage, mushrooms and peppers
Sunday - more leftover chicken plus sauteed cabbage w/bacon which used up a partial head of cabbage in the fridge
Monday - mushroom bourguignon and mashed potatoes. The bourguignon used up a couple of bags of frozen shiitake mushrooms from the freezer
Tuesday - beef and bean tacos
Wednesday - leftover mushroom bourguinon and pasta, leftover cabbage saute.
Thursday - lentil bolognese which used up some pork broth from the freezer and frozen green beans(not mine) sauteed with bacon
Pam in Maine