Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Remote Living, Part 7: Misconceptions

Still no actual questions to answer today, but will that stop me from typing many words anyway?

You should know the answer to that by now.

So! Today I thought I would address some common misconceptions people seem to have about remote living. I think many of these might apply to more-common rural living as well.

Geographic isolation=social isolation.

By this I mean that people seem to have this idea that living in a place like this means a hermit lifestyle. Like you'll move to the middle of nowhere and live an isolated, anonymous lifestyle.

This is very far from the truth. In fact, it's actually the opposite.

There is no anonymity here. None. And the smaller the community you move to, the less anonymity there is. Everyone knows us, even if we don't necessarily know them. Everyone knows our vehicles, and therefore knows when we've gone somewhere. People drive by slowly to case our gardens and animals and then ask about the tomatoes next time they see us.

If you want to be anonymous, live in a city. DEFINITELY don't move to a place with very few people.

Also, you will never be left alone to just tend those tomatoes. As I mentioned before, there aren't enough people to do everything that needs to be done, so you will eventually have to choose in what way you will be involved in your community. Not being involved and just sitting at home watching TV is not an option. 

Again, if you want to do that, live in a city.


Don't live here if you want to be left alone.

Everyone here butchers their own meat, cans their own food, makes their own bread, etc.

Nope. I mean, we do those things, but not everyone does. I wouldn't even say most people do all those things. We're still the weirdos that people bring mean roosters to for disposal.

That said, there is certainly a much higher level of self-sufficiency here than elsewhere. There has to be, because of the level of DIY necessary to live here. So even if everyone doesn't do everything like some kind of latter-day pioneers, everyone knows how to do something. Many people do have some kind of garden, or keep chickens, or sew, or hunt, or weld, or whatever. 

But it's not exactly like "Little House on the Prairie" with Pa making bullets by the fire. Everyone has TVs and tablets and buys their bread from a store.

Well, except us, of course. But like I said, we're the weird exception, not the rule.


On the up side, it's just accepted that I'm the weirdo who dries her own dill. There are worse reputations to have.

Remote people=uneducated people.

Obviously, I can't speak for every remote community, but this is certainly not true here. At least among people around our age or younger, almost without exception, they are college graduates. The cowboys who are working on the big ranches have degrees in Range Management. Their wives have degrees in education or Agricultural Science (or Agricultural Education).

The older people--say, 70 years old and up--mostly didn't go to college, but they made dang sure their children did. As are their grandchildren.

And, thanks to the modern miracle of the Internet, the high school students can (and often do) complete several college courses while they're still in high school.

Okay, I think I'm going to wrap up this Remote Living series here. I hope you've enjoyed this glimpse into Unknown Remote America. 


6 comments:

Lauren said...

These were some of my favorite blog posts ever - thank you! My father is the most DIY-capable person I know, but fixing stuff still usually requires a trip or two to Home Depot or Lowes. I guess a two-plus hour trip to a hardware store will teach you to make a comprehensive shopping list!

Anonymous said...

This series was wonderful. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Thank you!
Linda



Mary W said...

I've enjoyed the series, too. This post is especially thought-provoking for me. I live in the suburbs and find that my life was much more connected (and surveilled) when I was living in the city. I think in the city we needed to keep an eye out for each other because of the potential perils. The only reason I know any of my suburban neighbors is through walking our dogs.
BTW, this is my summer of canning. Our yard is too shaded for a garden, but there are several nearby pick-your-own farms. I don't have a pressure canner (yet), so I won't be doing any bull meat.

Lindsay C said...

Loved this series but I think you spurred another question. So if you are open to a few more questions ... here goes:

1. How long did it take you to develop relationships with people in town? Like do you have get together with other families? Like when I moved into my new house last August it took me a while to get to know my neighbors because of COVID but now, I get together a couple days a week with my neighbors. We'll take their dog for a walk or have a cup off coffee on our patios. Seeing as you have kids are there family get togethers that they go to? Is that something you enjoy?

2. On the lines of shopping again, you mentioned that most buy their bread. As you got more settled in town did you find that certain people went to town more than others? Have you ever considered maybe having one family go every other trip and getting groceries for the other so that you could get fresh milk,veggies, etc more often?

Sorry if those are silly questions ... just you post made me think! :)

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Lauren: Well, thank you for inspiring it! We don't go to a hardware store much even when things are broken. We either improvise the repair, or just live with the broken thing. :-)

Mary W.: Interesting. I found living in Phoenix to be the most anonymous existence of my life, but that might have partially been the phase of my life I was in (young and single). I didn't know any of my neighbors in my apartment complex. Then again, both my siblings live in suburban neighborhoods with pretty close community ties, so it's certainly not a hard and fast thing. Good luck with your canning!

Gemma's person said...

Thanks that has been fun.