Sunday, June 27, 2021

Snapshots: The Poppy Show

I seem to have an unusual number of photos of Poppy this week. Probably because she is three years old, and is therefore everywhere, all the time.

It's a bird! It's a plane! It's . . . Super Dancer!


Saving the day and dancing all the way. (A sparkly tutu paired with a Batman cape seems to me the perfect representation of a little girl who is innately feminine and yet unquestionably influenced by having three older brothers.)


We harvested cabbages last week. Thus, we started sauerkraut last week. Kneading salt into cabbage is one of life's small pleasures.

A. celebrated Father's Day by digging up the bed of smaller garlic heads. Then he sorted them into two sizes, trimming off the stems and roots as he went.

Poppy, who is clearly at the stage of wanting to help with everything, all the time (a stage that passes all too quickly, as I have learned from the other children), insisted on helping with this.


She dressed for the occasion, of course. Real farmers wear pink gingham, right?

And here she is in pink yet again. 


She does have other colors to choose from when she gets dressed. She just doesn't choose them with any regularity.

Ah! Here's one that doesn't feature The Girl In Pink!

I don't keep my sauerkraut crock in the kitchen in the summer, because it's too hot. The coolest place in the house is actually my bathroom, but I can't say I'm all that comfortable having sauerkraut fermenting two feet from my toilet. 

The next-coolest place is my bedroom. And the only place in my bedroom that is out of reach of the children is my dresser. So . . .


This pretty much sums up my aesthetic, actually. Inasmuch as I could be said to even have one.

For those who were wondering . . . The sauerkraut crock was a gift from the MiL. She bought it from a potter at the farmer's market. 

The mirror was also a gift from the MiL. It belonged to A.'s great-grandmother, and the MiL had it re-silvered and re-backed (probably not the word--the velvet behind the silver was replaced) several years ago and presented it to me.

The chunk of cinderblock was a gift from Calvin. He and Cubby went through a chiseling phase, and he chiseled my initials on this chunk of cinderblock and presented it to me. So now it's on my dresser. Because that's the sort of thing that ends up on your dresser when you have kids.

Also, my dad made the dresser.

And there you have it! My life, snapshotted.

3 comments:

Gemma's person said...

Walnut , a beautiful wood for your dresser.

Anonymous said...

Lovely collection of keepsakes.
Linda

Daisy said...

Gotta love it. On social media, this picture would rate a big HEART.