Friday, July 2, 2021

Friday Food: Strong Stew for Strong Man

Friday 

Short version: Leftovers, boiled potatoes, frozen peas

Long version: A. had the last of the leftover steak, plus a couple of fried eggs and yet more beet greens.

For the kids, I simmered the remainder of the pulled pork with barbecue sauce. I amended the Sysco sauce with tomato juice drained from the can of tomatoes when I made pasta sauce, mustard, and vinegar. It was much better. They also had the boiled potatoes--just chunks boiled and tossed with butter, salt, and pepper--and frozen peas. Still frozen.

I had . . . Well. You know. A little lettuce, a diced beet, some leftover cooked peas, a bit of the pork, and some Romano cheese.

Saturday

Short version: Italian-ish sausage, fried potatoes, frozen green peas

Long version: Loose breakfast sausage cooked with the remainder of the pasta sauce and the last of the cooked beet greens, finely diced. I also threw in the last of the cooked onion that had been sitting in the refrigerator.

I made a lot of boiled potatoes Friday, figuring I would find a way to use them throughout the week. This day, that was in the fried potatoes, which were just fried in olive oil until very crispy.

Sunday

Short version: Sausage-y meatloaf, leftover curried split peas and potatoes, roasted garlic, roasted carrots, random greens, baked custard

Long version: The last of the sausage log mixed with some ground beef for the meatloaf. Instead of using ketchup--which I put both in the meat mixture and spread on top while baking--I used the amended barbecue sauce. It was really good, actually.

The random greens were from some volunteer collards, as well as the leaves from the sprouting broccoli. I sliced them thinly and cooked them in water and bacon grease until they were soft, then added garlic powder.

I did not have a salad. Because I am out of lettuce until the baby lettuce in the garden gets bigger. I just had the carrots, greens, and meatloaf.

The custard was Calvin's choice for his toilet-cleaning reward. I had just made this the Sunday before as A.'s Father's Day dessert. I overbaked it that time, and I overbaked it this time. Dangit.

Monday

Short version: Beef stew meat, garlic bread, collard greens, frozen corn

Long version: Two packages of stew meat, browned and then cooked with onion, garlic, and a quart jar of rooster stock.

And hey! I have real garlic again! A.'s Father's Day harvest of the smaller garlic heads meant that I no longer have to rely on the green garlic puree. I put some of the garlic in the stew meat, and I also used some of the roasted garlic from the night before in the collard greens.

I cooked the meat until it was tender earlier in the day and then fried it in tallow at dinnertime with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika.

I wasn't sure there would be enough fried meat--I can only fit so much in one layer in even my biggest skillet--so I made myself a bowl of soup with some of the unfried meat, the cooking liquid, collards, the last of the roasted carrots, and some frozen peas.

When salad isn't an option, soup is a good alternative.

Random photo break!


The consummate guard dog, making sure the laundry is safe.

Tuesday

Short version: Strong stew, leftover meatloaf, fried potatoes, frozen green beans, pots de creme

Long version: I found a bag labeled "ram stew meat" in the freezer, so I made a stew for A. with it. It was just the meat plus a couple of cubes of frozen green chile sauce, a couple of cubes of frozen green garlic puree, a whole onion, and some tomato juice I drained from a can of whole tomatoes. I also threw in a couple of lumps of beef tallow, because that's what A. does when he makes stew.

It was not a stew for the faint of heart. A. enjoyed it, though.

I let Jack choose a dessert mid-week because he thinks it's unfair that his brothers get to choose dessert every Sunday and he never does. I could have told him it's because he doesn't clean the toilet (he and Poppy are in charge of the counter and mirrors), but then I suspect he'd be insisting he could clean it and there would be fights over toilet cleaning. So I just let him choose this night. And he chose pots de creme.

Wednesday

Short version: Leftovers, fried beef, pasta, frozen peas

Long version: A. had more of his stew. I made myself a soup with the leftover beef stew meat and liquid from Monday, plus leftover collard greens, a spoonful of pasta sauce, and frozen peas.

I had made the pasta sauce the day before when I drained the tomatoes, just because I already had the food processor out to make the pots de creme. The sauce was just the tomatoes, olive oil, the last two cloves of roasted garlic from Sunday, and some basil from the garden that was threatening to bolt. 


Maybe it's just trying to grow above the dill. A forlorn hope. Nothing can overcome dill.

I added some butter and Parmesan to the sauce when I added it to the pasta.

I cooked a few beef ribs in the oven during the day and stripped the meat off. That was the meat I fried, in beef tallow, with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and dried oregano.

I thought I was going to have to render the last package of beef fat in the freezer, but then I found a loaf of already-rendered tallow in the freezer when I was digging around. A happy discovery.

Thursday

Short version: Barbecue beef sandwiches, leftovers, still-frozen peas, fruit

Long version: I went to the dentist this day, which is an all-day affair here. I was lacking in energy and motivation when it came time to make dinner, so I made the most low-effort dinner possible: A jar of pressure-canned bull meat heated with some of the amended barbecue sauce, then served on bread with a side of peas. Still frozen.

That's what the kids had, anyway. A. had the remainder of his strong stew and I had the last of the ad hoc soup I had made the night before.

Everyone had fruit. Because the fruit truck was parked on the side of the road in the city the dentist is in, so I came home with cherries, nectarines, apricots, and plums. I think the plums and the cherries were the most popular options.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

grilled hot dogs, baked beans, potato salad
grilled steaks, salad, garlic sticks
fish taco's, broccoli, ice cream sandwiches
chicken & broccoli skillet, salad, garlic bread
grilled pork chops, cauliflower & spinach & mushrooms sauteed, garlic bread
zucchini lasagna, garlic bread, sweet corn
And for tonight salmon patties, salad, roasted potatoes
Linda

Karen. said...

Our food is intensely dull, but I have two comments related to yours (I do not follow instructions well).

One, that I need to figure out how to make custard. Someone told me once that a custard required a lot of eggs, but it seems to me that it just takes a lot of milk. I'm clearly not googling the right thing.

Two, that I had wondered if you could fry chunked or shredded beef carnitas-style, because sometimes that stuff lingers here when it's merely braised or roasted, but carnitas get inhaled. So now I am encouraged to try it.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Karen.: The custard I make does require a lot of eggs. If it's just milk with a different thickener like cornstarch, that's pudding. And yes, you can absolutely fry beef just like pork. And just like pork, it gets crispy and fatty and delicious.

Kit said...

Friday-meat pies
Saturday-leftover hot dogs from camping, Kristin's coleslaw, ice cream sandwiches
Sunday-cornbread, sausage, coleslaw
Monday-tuna macaroni salad, tossed salad
Tuesday-leftover sausage from Sunday, sweet potatoes, salad
Wednesday-tuna macaroni salad, tossed salad
Thursday- wilted spinach salad,fresh sourdough bread

Cathy W said...

I’m new to your blog. I read your series on remote living and found it really interesting. My parents always called me a “city mouse”. I guess they didn’t think I would survive remote living! I was wondering why you make so many different items for dinner? Won’t everyone eat the same thing? No judgement, just curious!

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Cathy W.: We generally eat the same things, although A. and I usually forgo whatever starch the kids are having. However, I do serve different things to people somewhat frequently just to use up leftovers. We rarely have enough for all six of us to have a full meal of anything again, but all those bits have to be used somehow.

Cathy W said...

That makes sense! Thanks.

Pam said...

Hey look, I'm not anonymous any more!
Friday - charcuterie at the local watering hole followed by tuna melt sandwiches at home because my husband apparently can not sustain himself on his half of the charcuterie board and a couple of beers. I can but I love tuna melt sandwiches.
Saturday - pizza topped with sauteed leek and kale, pepperoni and yellow pepper
Sunday - beef stew with dumplings, probably not a good choice for one our 90 deg days but it did use up the last package of stew meat in the freezer and it was cooked in the crockpot. We don't have AC because if you live in Maine you don't need AC
Monday - leftover beef stew with dumplings, another 90+ day so no cooking was nice.
Tuesday - beef and bean taco salad instead of just tacos because I harvested a staggering amount of lettuce that was going to bolt when it got really hot. We are eating a lot of lettuce for our lunches.
Wednesday - pizza at a local wood fired pizza oven restaurant
Thursday - pasta topped with a lemon zucchini feta sauce and caulilini sauteed with garlic
Pam in Maine