Sunday, July 4, 2021

Snapshots: Patriotic Photos

Happy Fourth! There actually isn't anything particularly patriotic about these snapshots. Other than the fact that they're pictures of Life in These United States, since that's where we live.

Anyway.

We got a lot of rain last week. A little over three inches, as a matter of fact. This is very exciting, although it does make it kind of hard to dry laundry. And there is always more laundry to be done during rainy periods, thanks to all the mud. And all the children who like to play in the mud.

I did manage to get eight hours or so of dry-enough weather to get laundry dry.


Well, it did get completely soaked during a heavy cloudburst in the afternoon, but it dried the next day.

While I hang laundry, Poppy practices on her balance beam.


Old oilfield pipe is probably the closest she'll ever get to a gymnastics lesson.

When the rain stopped and the sun came out, we all went outside. Unfortunately, we weren't the only ones getting out into the sun.


Not Howard. At least, according to A.

I came within about two feet of that bull snake and would have stepped on it if I hadn't seen it just in time while I was on my way to the garden.

I retreated, giving it time to slither away, and then continued into the garden, where I saw . . .


A literal serpent in the garden. (Also not Howard.)

I do not appreciate having that jolt of snake-inspired adrenaline twice in the span of about three minutes. Although, as A. pointed out, we may have a lot of bull snakes around, but we haven't had any gophers, rattlesnakes, or rats lately. So I guess the bull snakes can stay.

I went to the dentist on Thursday and stopped in at a dollar store for a new bathmat. On my way to the cash register, I saw a mug that amused me so much I actually bought it:


No one else seemed to find it as funny as I did, but I still laugh internally whenever I imagine Samson's hedonistic pleasure when he manages to get through a gate to eat previously unreachable weeds.

And there you have it! My life, snapshotted.

7 comments:

Kit said...

Last summer I got within about two feet of stepping on a rattlesnake. We were camping (in Maryland-they have rattlesnakes, who knew?) and I was out for a walk enjoying the scenery and not paying much attention to what I thought was a sycamore branch lying on the trail. I wish I had a picture of myself jumping about 10 feet in the air when I glanced down at the last minute and saw it was a snake. Nothing like that jolt!

Anonymous said...

Oh Kit, we have rattlesnakes around our home in PA. Lovely, I know.

Love to see clothes on the line, flapping in the breeze.

Are rattlesnakes afraid of bull snakes? Didn't think rattlesnakes were afraid of anything!!!

Linda

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Kit: I felt a jolt just reading that.

Linda: I don't think rattlesnakes are afraid of bull snakes--despite common assertions, there's really no evidence that bull snakes eat rattlesnakes like king snakes do--but since they're competing for the same food, more bull snakes will necessarily mean less snakes of other kinds.

Anonymous said...

I had to look up info on king snakes. I had no idea that king snakes ate rattlesnakes.
Linda

Karen. said...

Really, this looks like a good week. High five.

Lindsay C said...

What a good week. We have had such a dry summer that our area is under water restrictions. No watering the lawns, etc. Most of the grass is dead. The few people that have living grass are the ones that have just had it planted (I'm in a new construction area) and new grass is allowed to be watered every other day to keep it from not "settling" into the ground. I am so glad that the holiday is almost over and we can get back into the regular rhythm again. I actually went to target today and they were setting out the back to school stuff. I am so ready for fall to be here and for the cool fall/winter temps which follow! What was the highlight of your week? I am guessing it wasn't the trip to the dentist! ;)

Daisy said...

I love the mug! It's definitely one for you if you're the only one who truly appreciated the humor.