Friday, September 3, 2021

Friday Food: Brownie Pie, Anyone?

Friday 

Short version: Bunless hamburgers, leftover spaghetti, raw green beans

Long version: The rest of the ground beef from earlier in the week that I never cooked, more of the spaghetti from the cafeteria, more cucumbers from the garden.

Unexciting, but tasty.

Saturday

Short version: Leftover spaghetti, leftover chicken salad with crackers, cucumbers, Larabars

Long version: Cubby had his first football game this day. It was an away game. Very away. Three hours away, actually. A. went, so he and Cubby were gone for dinner.

That's why we had leftovers.

Also why I gave the kids the Larabars for dessert. I had mentioned to them that I had given Cubby a couple to bring with him in case he needed to eat something, so of course they wanted one, too. I usually have these on hand. They're really good. Not exactly health food, but not total junk, either.

Sunday

Short version: Pork and gravy, garlic bread, Holy's cabbage, roasted carrots, raw cabbage, double chocolate brownie pie

Long version: I found a random bag of what looked like pork loin in the freezer, so I sliced that into kind of medallions, fried those with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika, and then made a milk gravy for the pork in the pan. 

For those who have no idea what's so holy about cabbage, you can read all about it here. Three of the four children prefer their cabbage raw, but Cubby LOVES Holy's cabbage, so I can be assured the family recipe will live on.

It was Cubby's turn to clean the toilet, and thus choose dessert, and he chose brownies. I made these brownies (though I never bother with the parchment paper lining), and added a few chopped dark chocolate truffles of unknown age that I found in the back of my baking cabinet. I also baked it in a nonstick round cake pan and cut it into wedges. Hence, brownie pie.

It was popular. Obviously.

Oh look! An action shot of many things!


Brownies, cabbage, garlic bread, and roasted carrots. Looks like a balanced meal to me.

Monday

Short version: Breakfast sausage patties, mashed potatoes, beet greens, carrot sticks

Long version: Nah.

Tuesday

Short version: Pork stir-fry, rice

Long version: When I cut up the pork on Sunday, I cut some into smaller pieces for stir-fry. Even though I have probably enough vegetables from the garden right now to make the stir-fry with fresh vegetables, I still used two bags of frozen stir-fry vegetables.

Lazy? Guilty as charged.

Wednesday

Short version: Curried rooster slop, leftover mashed potatoes, raw green beans, leftover beet greens

Long version: We must've gotten at least half a dozen roosters from various people this year. I guess a lot of people got chicks this spring, and of course, when anyone gets chicks they're bound to get excess roosters.

This one came to us Tuesday, A. killed it and skinned it Wednesday morning, and then I pressure-cooked it. It was pretty shreddy when it was done, so I just pulled it apart and added some curried split peas I took from the freezer as a sauce.

This rooster had a lot of very dark meat, and the brown of the meat with the yellow of the curry made for a pretty ugly dish.

We do not always eat with our eyes in this house.

Thursday

Short version: Very late chicken burritos

Long version: Cubby had a home game this night, so we all went. It went a lot later than I thought. We didn't get home until 7:40 p.m., by which point, of course, everyone was starving.

I hadn't actually made anything ahead of time, but I had saved some of the rooster's breast meat for some undetermined use. So I heated that up with salsa, and then put it in flour tortillas with cheese.

There were no vegetables with dinner, but the kids all ate apples while they were watching the game, so I called it good.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?


6 comments:

Kit said...

Friday-salmon loaf, baked potatoes, green beans
Saturday-meatballs in gravy, noodles, green beans, peach pie
Sunday-make your own taco salad
Monday-scrambled eggs, oven fried potatoes, corn on the cob
Tuesday-chicken enchiladas from the freezer (long day), asparagus, cantaloupe
Wednesday-blts, corn, watermelon
Thursday-Mexican turkey, fresh lima beans

Anonymous said...

grilled steaks, tomato/cucumber salad, roasted potatoes
Claire's meal last week of chicken, zucchini, garlic over rice, salad
taco salad with tilapia, tortilla chips
chicken salad sandwiches, raw vegetables with homemade cream cheese dip
spaghetti & meatballs with spaghetti squash, garlic bread, salad
rotisserie chicken, salad, chips
And for tonight stromboli, salad
Linda

Claire said...

Hey Linda, I am glad if the chicken/zucchini was inspiring :-)

Last weekend my mum went camping with her 4 grand kids in the forest close to her chalet (she is brave, they are all between 2.5 and 6 years old!!) I went to have dinner with them and took one of the dogs. So it was potluck BBQ & salads, super tasty.
On Sunday I made homemade burgers from the freezer with roast potatoes and salad.
On Monday I went to see my grandma to help with some admin, she made green beans and tomatoes from the garden cooked with thick bacon slices, broth and peeled potatoes.
Tuesday was BBQ, I marinaded boneless chicken thighs in a sweet & spicy marinade, which we had with corn on the cob, grilled zucchini slices left from last week's monster, fregola salad with tomatoes and olives (fregola is a small round pasta from the island of Sardinia in Italy, made with toasted wheat flour)
Wednesday we reheated some of the grilled chicken and had it in sandwiches with mayo and salad, together with a tomato-mozzarella-oregano caprese salad
Thursday was the boyfriend cooking night: he grilled some small fishes and made rice with garlic and herbs. We discovered that the dogs (2 german shepherd dogs) love small fish, both raw and grilled, so they got the heads
Yesterday was beef tartare, with toast. We added olives, capers, gherkins, shallot, olive oil, fish sauce and Worcestershire sauce, very tasty.
Tonight either taco night or I'll make hamburgers out of the leftover tartare.

Pam said...

Friday: lots of leftovers to clean out the fridge including zucchini fritters, chicken and veggies on noodles
Saturday: pizza with greens sauteed in bacon fat, andouille sausage. I took leftover pizza for lunch a couple days this week and it made my office smell of bacon. Yum!
Sunday: We helped the neighbor's Girl Scout troop with preparations for the free community supper. They served American chop suey, salad, cookies and apples. There were a couple bagged meals not taken so that was our dinner too.
Monday: Qur vegan niece visted so we were vegans for the night. We ate grilled Dr Praeger veggie burgers, grilled marinated zucchini and tomato cucumber salad
Tuesday: chicken and bean tacos
Wednesday: BLTs
Thursday: lemon zucchini pasta, tomato cucumber salad leftover from Monday
Pam in Maine

Corrie R said...

Ok, this might be a question for a future rural living post, but how exactly does one handle sports in that regard? An away game 3 hours AWAY?? What do these kids do - leave at noon? Or get home at midnight?

Karen. said...

"Curried rooster slop" amuses me no end.