Friday, September 24, 2021

Friday Food: Never Done, Indeed

Friday 

Short version: Chicken salad sandwiches, cucumbers

Long version: A., Cubby, and Calvin weren't home. Cubby had an away game that was seven hours away (that's crazy even for here), and rather than making him come home on the bus that night and not get home until after midnight, A. decided to go and bring him home, stopping to fish in the mountains on the way home. Calvin wanted to go, too, but it was too much driving for the younger two, so they stayed here with me.

They had the sandwiches, made with the last of the leftover chicken breast from Sunday's giant roasted chicken. 

Saturday

Short version: Green chile beef stew, garlic bread

Long version: I wasn't sure if the travelers would be returning this night, so I made something that would keep if they got home late. They ended up staying one more night in the mountains, so it was just the three of us for dinner again.

I was very, very tired and not into making dinner by the afternoon, because I spent the entire day in the kitchen dealing with the 30 or so pounds of apples a very kind lady brought us. She has five apple trees, and had heard from one of the teachers at school that we could use them. She dropped them off on Friday, and I spent Saturday making applesauce and canning it. 

I felt like I would never get out of the kitchen.


The title of this book I'm currently reading seemed particularly apropros.

Sunday

Short version: Beef stir-fry, rice, apple crisp with whipped cream

Long version: The butcher we used this time for the steer we bought from our neighbor was a new place for us, and the first place that ever asked me if I wanted any of the meat cut into stir-fry strips.

Well, YEAH.

I make stir-fry a lot, and if I can get someone else to cut up the meat for me, I am all for it. Especially if I use the bags of frozen stir-fry vegetables--which I usually do nowadays--it makes for a very quick meal.

I didn't make the kids do their bathroom chores this week, so I got to choose the dessert. And I chose apple crisp. I made a big 9x13 one and used up the very last of all those apples. 

I WIN.

Monday

Short version: Leftovers

Long version: Work day! Which you could probably tell from the leftoveres.

A., Calvin, and Poppy had leftover roast beef, rice, and cucumbers. Jack, Cubby, and I had the hamburger stew. Everyone had the last of the apple crisp.

Tuesday

Short version: Beef ribs, pasta, raw green beans, calabacitas

Long version: There were several packages of ribs at the top of the freezer, so I pulled those out and cooked them a few hours.

Not long enough. They were still a bit tough, so I pulled the meat off, cut it up smaller, and simmered it for awhile with barbecue sauce to get it a bit more tender.

Egg noodles with just butter, salt, and garlic powder. 

And the zucchini-like calabacitas fried in olive oil with onion, tomatoes, and garlic. I love this. It's one of my favorite things in summer, and I can eat it with just about everything.

Wednesday

Short version: Meatloaf, leftover pasta, frozen green peas

Long version: I mixed and formed the meatloaves in the morning so I could put them in when I got home from work. I made them on the smaller side so they would cook faster, but they still took almost an hour. 

On the upside, I did not have to be frying hamburgers or something during that hour, because the baking meatloaves take no hands-on cooking. Always appreciated after work.

Thursday

Short version: Leftovers, canned clam chowder

Long version: Cubby had a home football game at 6 p.m., so the rest of us had dinner before we left. A. had the barbecue beef ribs, tomatoes and pickles, and some yogurt. I had leftover meatloaf and coleslaw. The kids had meatloaf, pasta, and coleslaw.

The coleslaw was just a small bowl of this recipe that I made because when I was starting to slice cabbage with the food processor to make sauerkraut, I accidentally put the shredding disc on instead. So I shredded a carrot to go with the accidental shredded cabbage and made some coleslaw.

Cubby had the chowder when he got home. I recently bought a box of six cans of it online for him, because he loves seafood of all kinds, so he's quite happy to eat this soup. And even though it's in a can, it doesn't have any sketchy ingredients. Yay.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, seven hours!?!?! That has to be halfway to Blackrock. :)
Your apple crisp looks delicious. I was just thinking about making one, but I had some milk that needed to be use up before it soured, so I just made Pots de Creme.

grilled hamburgers, roasted potatoes/garlic/mushrooms, baked beans
grilled pork chops, mashed sweet potatoes, salad, garlic bread
roasted chicken legs, salad, leftover mashed sweet potatoes, garlic bread
zucchini lasagna, roasted squash, garlic bread
shrimp stir fry, toast
chicken, broccoli casserole, roasted carrots, garlic bread
And for tonight fish taco's & I have a few small zucchini's to use, so I'm going to make your zucchini/tomato/onion/garlic dish.
Linda


Anonymous said...

I looked up the book you're reading. It looked really interesting, but my library doesn't have it in stock, so I ordered it used.
Linda

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Linda: It is very interesting, although a bit of a slow read. It's basically the author's PhD dissertation in extended form, so the writing skews more towards the academic than most popular books. If you're interested in the subject, though, it has lots of fascinating information.

Anonymous said...

Sunday: Pizza. I haven’t had the time or inclination to make pizza lately, so this was appreciated by all. One veggie, one cheese, one pepperoni and jalapeño, one pepperoni and olive, two plain pepperoni. I just love how pizza will use up random bits from the refrigerator.
Monday: Leftover pizza and salad.
Tuesday: Soup! The first day cool enough for soup! Just an assortment of veggie leftovers. It would have been really good if I hadn’t decided to chuck in some underdone rice from the freezer. I always underestimate how much broth rice will suck up. Oh well—at least it tasted good. Crusty bread on the side, which makes soup more acceptable to the children.
Wednesday: Cheese grits, fried eggs, and fresh tomato slices from my friend’s garden. Pretty unremarkable meal. I had meant to make grits and shrimp, but forgot to pick some up.
Thursday: Takeout. I had no time to cook, between a dog grooming appointment and a cross country meet (well, if I’d skipped the gym, I *could* have made something, but mama needs to exercise sometimes!), so hubs picked up takeout for me.

Thanks for inspiring me to waste less food. I’m nowhere near your level, but I’m so much better than before. And for the invitation to share our meals—I was feeling pretty bad about my cooking efforts this week, but when I write them down, it looks okay!

Jessica

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Jessica: Cheese grits, fried eggs and fresh tomatoes sound more than okay. Yum.

Andra said...

Sunday—everyone was on their own
Monday—chicken, potatoes, broccoli
Tuesday—cabbage, noodles, chicken sausage
Wednesday—Tamale pie
Thursday—breakfast casserole and fruit
Friday—leftovers
My daughter just got her expander and is adjusting to it and says the breakfast casserole is the easiest thing to eat. I have a feeling she’s going to request it every week as we find different foods that work best for her right now.

Claire said...

Does Cubby miss school when he has an away game that far?
Well done with the apples, future Kristin will be glad you put in all that work!!
Last weekend we stayed at my parents in law. My MiL is sick and eats gluten-free and mainly lactose-free to reduce inflammation. I usually cook when we're there, to give my FiL a break. I get to try new recipes, he shops and washes up, so that's a win win!

Saturday we had a big rack of stag, I made a herby crust with gluten-free crackers, we had it with potato and red lentil soufflés and sautéed cabbage
Sunday gluten-free lasagne with green salad. Next time I won't presoak the lasagne sheets, as they all sticked together & were a mess to separate. This gluten-free stuff is tricky!
Monday I accidentally made a vegan meal of zucchini and chickpea flour kofte with a tomato curry and rice (a recipe from Delicious Magasine)
Tuesday we were back at home and made an easy spaghetti all'amatriciana (bacon, tomato, olives &capers)
Wednesday I picked up reduced price salmon, which we cooked in a bacon, carrot, white wine and cream sauce, with rice and steamed fennel
Thursday was easy, hotdogs with coleslaw
Friday boar filets in a mushroom and red wine sauce, with roast potatoes and steamed pak-choi (from our garden!) the boar meat was quite dry, I should cook it differently next time

Kit said...

I've read Never Done, it was interesting! Made me grateful for my washer and dryer, dishwasher...and a lot of other things.
Friday-scrambled eggs and sausage, oven-fried potatoes, zucchini
Saturday-chicken fried steak, noodles, green beans, molasses cookies. One grandchild only ate noodles.
Sunday-pita bread with egg salad, except the grandkids wouldn't eat egg salad of course, so they had sliced cheese in their pita bread. Corn on the cob, watermelon
Monday-husband out of town! Cheese and crackers for me.
Tuesday-cheese omelet and toast (this is as fancy as I get when I'm alone)
Wednesday-leftover chicken enchiladas
Thursday-another omelet

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Claire: Our school is on a four-day week (due to the distance traveled by many of the students to get to school), so that game was on a Friday when we don't have school anyway. And can I just say how much I loved that "rack of stag" you casually had in your menu? Sounds very medieval.

Kit: Yes. I read books like this so I can feel appropriately grateful about how easy my own life is.

mil said...

Friday: Reuben and fries from Dugan's. Pears for dessert.
Saturday: Potatoes au gratin made with alpine cheese.
Sunday: Tuna salad, fresh tomatoes, rice
Monday: GF pasta with basil, parsley, egg, tomatoes and parmesan cheese
Tuesday: ditto
Wednesday: Steak and mashed potatoes with anchovies and garlic, from a Mark Bittman recipe. I used too many anchovies for the amount of potatoes I cooked, but it wasn't bad, if a bit salty and strong.
Thursday: ditto, with rice pudding for dessert. It is now fall, rice pudding time
Friday: freshly made creamy blue cheese dressing on iceberg lettuce and tomatoes. The remainder of the steak. Rice pudding.

Claire said...

@Kristin - ok for the school, that makes sense. This also gives you Fridays off! But still 14 hours is an awful long drive for one game
You made me laugh re the stag, you're the one cooking unusual meat, like bull or elk. Something might have been lost in translation though, what we ate was a rack of cutlets of stag. Super easy to do, I brown the meat in a frying pan, put a mix of breadcrumbs, chopped rosemary, thyme, garlic and olive oil on top & bake it for 30 min. Easy and tasty! That's my basic recipe for rack of lamb