Sunday, February 20, 2022

Snapshots: 2020 Has Finally Ended

Almost two years ago exactly, our school first closed down because of Covid. 

A few months later, I posted this photo of the decorative iron divider between our entryway and the living room. 

As of this Thursday at 3 p.m., which is when we saw the official announcement that New Mexico's indoor mask mandate has been lifted, that same divider looks like this.


Free and clear.

The cabbage and kohlrabi seeds I started a couple of weeks ago are growing quite happily in the children's bathroom under the lights A. rigged up:


A definite improvement over the junk-farmer grow box that lived in the corner of the dining room.

I got in my morning walks this weekend. This is what the windmill looked like when I first went out.


With sunflower silhouettes.

And here's the same spot ten minutes later on my way home.


Just as the sun snuck over the horizon.

And in the other direction . . .


Sunflowers, the schoolhouse, and the moon.

And now for something much less aesthetically pleasing. Please stop reading now if a dead animal is going to bother you.

A. decided his ram needed to go. Which of course at our house means into the freezer.


The children helped A. move the massive bulk of the ram on the utility wagon, with A. pulling, Calvin steering with the back hooves, and Jack and Poppy steadying either side of it.


Then A. had to climb into the tree to set up the pulley so the carcass could be hung up while he gutted it.


Jack brought his lunch out to watch the excitement, because these children have not the slightest bit of squeamishness in them.


Jasper also watched the proceedings closely, and was rewarded for his patience with a lung. He's not squeamish, either.

This time A. skinned the head and roasted it, and you can all thank me for NOT taking photos of that. So gruesome.

There you have it! My (edited) life, snapshotted.

6 comments:

Gemma's person said...

Love it, you are bringing them up the old fashioned way...when good kids make the best people in life.
I am proud of you and you aren't even mine. :)

sheila said...

So is the ram meat good, or strong tasting?

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Sheila: This was a young ram, only a year old, so it's very good.

Karen. said...

Apparently I have all the squeamishness that your kids don't have. I guess it had to go somewhere (?). My husband laughs at me because I flatly refuse to do most things with raw meat aside from flop it from the locker package to the grill. I count it a miracle that I have the wherewithal to squoosh together a meatloaf.

In fact, I've been hesitant to get chickens because the end-of-life sequence is too much for my imagination. Hooboy. Nope. But eggs are $3.49 and higher at the moment so I guess we may as well plan to have a bunch of old-timer layers hanging around eating eventually.

It's OK; you can shake your head at me because I also shake my head at me. Heh.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Karen.: I'm with you. In all honesty, I can and do prepare and cook almost anything, but that doesn't mean I actually eat it. I always take one very small taste, though, so that I can truthfully tell my children I tried it, because the last thing I want to do is negatively influence their own sense of adventure.

Tu mere said...

Very tasteful photos. I could easily watch if you were producing a documentary. Really behind in blog reading, but eventually here I am and totally engaged. So miss the in person.