Friday, March 11, 2022

Friday Food: A Restaurant and a Ram

Friday 

Short version: Restaurant for me, crepes at home

Long version: This was the night I was gone for my overnight hotel stay. I ate a salad with avocado and some french fries for dinner, because it was a Friday in Lent.

A. made crepes for the home crew, which were very popular.

Saturday

Short version: Fried pork, mashed potatoes, cucumber and tomatoes

Long version: Two cans of commodities pork fried in tallow with spices. Better than it sounds.

Sunday

Short version: Rooster-rice soup, grilled cheese sandwiches, pots de creme

Long version: I made the soup with a jar of concentrated rooster stock plus the last bag of rooster meat from the freezer labeled "chicken for soup" that I had pulled off the carcasses when I originally made the stock. It was really good. That rooster stock is key.

Cubby made the pots de creme. Yay.

Monday

Short version: Ram chile, rice, pinto beans, artichokes, tomatoes

Long version: We finally butchered the ram this day.


Jack and Poppy wanted to help, so I set them up with some smaller, easier to cut boneless pieces and let them make mince out of them. 

I pressure-cooked the shanks and mostly-stripped bones so I would have stock and meat to make chile. To the chile I added green garlic, onions, tomato, lots of green chile, cumin, some red chile, paprika, and pigs' feet.

Yes, pigs' feet. A. loves them, and we had two bags in the freezer. It made for a very strong soup. Not all the the children could eat the highly-spiced chile, so those children had the ram meat I pulled from it and plain rice with butter.

After spending much of the day dealing with meat, I elected to have a salad with cheese, pinto beans, beets, and tomatoes in it.

The children had the artichokes before dinner. I got two from Misfits Market the week before, and the kids were VERY EXCITED about them. I don't trim them or anything. I just steam them whole, make a vinaigrette with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and salt to dip the leaves in, and let the children scrape the edible part off the inedible leaf with their teeth. 


Artichoke party at the very table that was holding a ram carcass a few hours earlier. (Obviously, a very well-scrubbed table.)

Tuesday

Short version: Impromptu international foods, raw cabbage

Long version: Very unusually, I did not have a clear idea of what I was going to make when I went into the kitchen at 4:30 p.m. to make dinner. I did have quite a few different things in the refrigerator to work with, however, and I ended up with three separate things.

The easiest thing was the chile, which just had to be heated up.

I also made egg noodles, to which I added some of the commodities pasta sauce, an extra packet of cheese powder from when I've made two boxes of macaroni and cheese but only used one packet, butter, oregano, garlic powder, and finely chopped fried pork.

And last, I made fried rice with leftover rice, the rest of the pork, some asparagus I had already steamed, chopped green beans, an egg, vinegar, soy sauce, and powdered ginger. That was supposed to be for me, although it made quite a bit in the end and turned out to be the most popular thing I made.

A. and Cubby had chile, and then Cubby had both fried rice and two servings of noodles.

The other three children had both the fried rice and the noodles. And I was advised by all members of the family that I should make fried rice again, and a lot of it. 

Fine with me. I think it would be a good use for the pressure-canned bull meat.

Wednesday

Short version: Lamb tenderloin, roasted potatoes, pureed calabaza, frozen green peas, Toblerone

Long version: The MiL arrived this day for a weeklong visit, and she got here just in time for dinner. To celebrate her arrival, we had lamb tenderloin, which is among the best meat on the animal.

She brought the Toblerone bar with her. The children had never had this particular kind of chocolate before, and they approved. Of course.

Thursday

Short version: Carnitas tacos with homemade corn tortillas, pinto beans, Cadbury Creme Eggs

Long version: The MiL bought the Creme Eggs on a whim at the store before she came, and they were the most exciting thing that has happened to the children in some time. 

Those low expectations again.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

tuna/broccoli divan, roasted potatoes
takeout
chicken/vegetable/pasta skillet, garlic bread
spaghetti w/meatballs, broccoli, garlic bread
bbq chicken salad w/beans & greens, apple cake
leftover spaghetti & meatballs, salad, apple cake
and for tonight egg/bacon/cheese/lots of vegetables casserole, apple cake
Linda

Tammy said...

Let's see....

Hamburgers and fries
Hash brown casserole w ham in it
Chili
Chicken n dumplings
Spaghetti w salad
Pizza
Leftovers

That's our menu thru Sunday

Anonymous said...

Hello there, this very rainy and dank week we ate quite a few comfort foods..

Monday - Clam/potato chowder, cranberry orange bread, veggie and cheese plate

Tuesday - Random veggies sauted with Cajun seasoning and served over buttered noodles. It was good.

Wendsday - Panko crusted catfish, spinach salad, bread

Thursday - Sausage, peppers and egg scramble, apples with peanut butter, toast

Friday - I have some random odds and ends of cheese, meat and veggies so I'm thinking I'll throw together some pizzas...possible movie marithon? The dress code will be pajamas and fuzzy socks of course.

Oh, and absolutely fried rice for the win!

Happy weekend everyone.

mbmom11 said...

It got cold again - and snowed again last night- so my energy withered.
Friday- tuna salad and grilled cheese
Saturday- pasta?
Sunday- roast beef , applesauce, mashed potatoes, roasted potatoes. Chocolate cream pie.
Monday-Tuesday-wednesday - nothing I can remember. A cold virus went through the house . 3 kids home sick Wednesday so it was probably leftovers . Still pie left on Wed so it shows we weren't feeling well. Husband had chili I brought home from the kids' school one day .
Thursday- pasta, sausage,broccoli, garlic bread.
Friday- fish sticks or tortilla chips with cheese. Beyond burger for teen. Pineapple if I feel like cutting it up.
Thus was a low expectation week !

Kit said...

Friday-at my daughter's for a birthday party. The 6 year old turned 7! We had plain cheese pizza, salad, birthday cake and ice cream. And the 7 year old was very happy!
Saturday-meat and onion pie, broccoli, jam-filled crumb bars. And the 7 year old had yogurt.
Sunday-spaghetti and meatballs, coleslaw
Monday-stirfried leftover chicken, leftover rice, and leftover vegetables
Tuesday-leftover meat pie
Wednesday-cabbage and potato soup, cheesy biscuits
Thursday-eggs, oven fried potatoes, peas

Claire said...

I love your kids' enthousiasm for new things!

Sunday new recipe for ricotta balls with chorizo and spinach, they were nice. Great picnic food
Monday I went to visit an ice-hockey venue where we'll be organizing a concert. Our hostess kindly brought us take-away salad and snacks
Tuesday cod with chorizo crust and rice
Wed cordons-bleu with carrot salad and celery salad
Thu tacos with pork meat. The pork meat was on the bones and cut in pieces we call it fricassée. I slow cooked it with jalapeno orange juice, cumin, onion and garlic
Fri Côte de boeuf with potatoes, café de Paris butter and steamed pak choi. The beef came from a local organic farm. They have a self service which is basically a freezer locker, when you pay the selected locker opens. They also do beef boxes, 20-30 kg of various cuts. I'd like to try that soon
Sat we'll have endives wrapped in bacon with béchamel sauce, rice and salad

Daisy said...

From a city dweller: Is there a taste difference between chicken and rooster? Asking for a friend (ahem, a husband).

Kay said...

It was a cold week and we did a lot of comfort food. And I was lazy a lot too. (work was tough this week.)

Sunday: (we watched the grandkids in the afternoon, we were tired afterwards)
Take out pizza

Monday: Had to run to the city. Taco Bell

Tuesday: Crockpot Meatloaf, baked potatoes and veg

Wednesday: Egg casserole with sausage, toast

Thursday: Another errand in the city/Date Night. Long John Silvers

Friday: Nachos

Saturday: Watched the grands again, tired again. It was cold. We each found something to eat from the leftovers in the fridge

Sunday (today): Blueberry muffins for Breakfast, Lunch-??, A pitiful frozen tortellini in pesto and leftover meatloaf. Both rather flavorless. Farmer made himself a grilled cheese sandwich.

Next week will be better. :)

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Daisy: Not a notable difference, exactly, between a rooster and a hen, but I do think the flavor in roosters is more intense. Darker dark meat, I guess, because they're more muscular kind of. Hard to explain, but I do think the stock made from roosters is better.

Kay: Here's hoping for a calmer week!

Pam said...

Friday - out to eat with visiting family and had grilled salmon on focaccia
Saturday - on my own so I just sauteed some vegetables and put a fried egg on top
Sunday - pizza with red sauce, Italian sausage, mushrooms, colored pepper
Monday - gnocchi in brown butter with mushrooms and swiss chard
Tuesday - beef and bean tacos
Wednesday - can't remember
Thursday - shrimp in a tomato curry sauce, basmati rice, naan
Pam in Maine

Wendy said...

Just found your blog through Frugal Girl, and I love that you went "whole Hog"country. Can you explain commodities pork? never heard of it before.
I usually make a menu for 1 week but wind up eating it for 2-3. Husband and adult daughter work in same office so they take lunch every day, as well as it has to be gluten free, dairy free, low sodium, and during Lent, vegan.So I only cook supper so everyone can eat it, double it for lunch, and we are on our own for breakfast. We do wind up with plenty of leftovers so some nights we have FIFI=find it fix it. And I never put what we are having for a particular day, cause who know's what God will have us do?
This weeks plan:Fried rice///Sheet pan bbq tofu bowls w/black beans, quinoa, sweet pots///Cauliflower steaks with avocado herb sauce, carrots///veggie peanut noodles///Cauliflower Tinga tacos, slaw, Spanish rice///Sloppy Lentils with fries and slaw///Bean and cornbread///stir fry///veggies tacos.


Kristin @ Going Country said...

Hi Wendy! So the commodities pork is canned pork chunks. The commodities program is a USDA program here that many of the seniors are signed up for. They get a delivery of food every month that includes shelf-stable foods, as well as fresh produce and some dairy. We aren't signed up for the program, but we often get the foods that our neighbors don't want or need. I guess they figure, with all these kids, we'll be able to use it. The canned pork is one of those things. It's literally just pork chunks and water, so it's one of the more wholesome canned foods, oddly.