Sunday, March 6, 2022

Snapshots: Away From Home

Some of you may remember that more than two years ago, I went to a near-by-ish city to stay at a hotel overnight all by myself. Being an introvert who craves quiet is no easy thing with four young children at home, and it helps to occasionally absent myself from home.

I decided it was time for another 24-hour break, so I went on Friday. And I took pictures!


My room this time was not quite as large or as nice as the one I had a couple of years ago. It didn't have its own bookcase in it, but there was . . . 


A small collection of books right outside my door. Included in this small collection was an Elizabeth Peters book. She is my favorite author, and I brought that book with me when I went . . .


To the hotel restaurant for dinner. The food was nothing special, but I didn't have to prepare it, serve it, or clean up after it, so that was nice. I elected not to have a drink with my dinner, because . . .


I brought my own bar with me. And I was very glad I did when I saw the night's drink special at the restaurant was a Sazerac for $14 dollars. Yikes.

While it was still light, I wandered around the old plaza to an antique shop and a bookstore. I didn't do much of anything else, though, which is of course the point.

At home, we still have sheep.


With lambs.

My own little lambs were very, very happy to have me back when I returned from my brief absence. And I was very glad to be back.

There you have it! My life, snapshotted.

7 comments:

mil said...

Wow. A Sazerac! I guess your hotel has some Mardi Gras spirit--I have been meaning to try that cocktail, but doing so would entail mail ordering some ingredients, and I haven't gotten around to it. But maybe in the other small city--

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed your much needed time away.
Linda

Courtney said...

I've been reading for a while but this is my first comment. I LOVE Elizabeth Peters! My Mom hooked me on her in my early 20s. I've read them all; picking them up is like talking with old friends.

So glad you had a nice 24 hours. A drink, a good book, and sleep? Sounds heavenly.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Courtney: Yes, I've been reading and re-reading all of her books since I was about in middle school. My older sister was the one to introduce me to her. I've never been a huge fan of the Amelia Peabody series--which is of course a large part of her overall collection--but I own pretty much every other book she wrote under that name and Barbara Michaels. They're the ones I can pick up and put down easily for comfort reading that is entertaining but doesn't require excessive concentration.

Jenny said...

I had typed out such a long, profound comment (lol) and then it got erased. The jist of it was “good for you!”

Kit said...

I'm currently reading The Last Camel Died at Noon! Glad you got a break.

Tu mere said...

On board with Elizabeth Peters as well. Have never had such a cute bookcase outside my hotel room, never ever. The room looked so cozy and serene with the lights on by the bed, the restaurant open (a plus even without great food), and the transported drink of choice exactly what I do when we travel. Just can’t pay the exorbitant prices for drinks as well. So glad you took a time out to recharge.