Friday, March 4, 2022

Friday Food: An Uninspired Week

Friday 

Short version: Leftovers, radishes and carrot sticks

Long version: Some had leftover beef stroganoff and noodles that the school cook had sent home with me the day before. Some had leftover taco meat and rice. And Poppy ended up having a fried egg because she really did not like the stroganoff, but there wasn't any more of the taco meat. 

Everyone had the raw vegetables. I didn't make an order for a Misfits Market delivery on Wednesday because I generally get a box every other week and this was an off week. Good thing, because our county got so much commodities stuff the lady in charge was just driving around asking people to take things, whether or not they're actually signed up for commodities. We are not, but we still got a fresh produce box just so it wouldn't go to waste.


It actually included several things I choose from Misfits Market every time I order. Fun.

Saturday

Short version: Concessions food

Long version: We went to see our boys basketball team play in the district final game. The game was in the evening right after our monthly Saturday Mass. 

I briefly considered being fiscally responsible and bringing tuna sandwiches or something to eat between church and the game, but then I decided to be irresponsible instead and buy everyone dinner from the concession stand. So everyone had smothered burritos and chips and candy.

I regret nothing.

Sunday

Short verison: Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, green salad with ranch dressing, no-churn vanilla ice cream

Long version: This is the third time I've tried making no-churn ice cream. This time I used a Cook's Country recipe given to me by Cubby and Calvin's teacher, who makes ice cream for all their class parties. 

The plain vanilla was still too sweet, although not as sweet as previous recipes I've tried. So I think if I add some plain cocoa powder to it next time, it will temper the sweetness and I might actually manage to make ice cream that doesn't cause immediate cavities.

Look! I got a picture of the elusive Odin!


Ready for his walk.

Monday

Short version: Leftovers, garlic bread, raw cabbage

Long version: Some had leftover meatloaf, some had leftover stroganoff, all had garlic bread that I had baked the day before when I was making loaves of bread, plus raw cabbage because that's the way they like it.

We also had a little leftover ice cream, which went well with the leftover chocolate cake from lunch the school cook sent home with me. Lucky kids.

Tuesday

Short version: Beef stew, cheese

Long version: This was not a very exciting Fat Tuesday meal. I'm a traitor to my New Orleans roots

It was good stew, though. I added green chili, green garlic (frozen last spring), tomatoes, pureed calabaza from the freezer, and beef stock to the meat, potatoes, and carrots. Very flavorful.

I did let the kids have another piece of cake, as a kind of half-hearted nod to the celebratory nature of the day. Maybe more like quarter-hearted, actually.

Wednesday

Short version: Tuna salad sandwiches, tomato soup, Cheetos Paws, custard

Long version: I made the soup and custard because half the family was sick. And when there is illness in our home, there is soup and custard. I've been getting a lot of eggs lately from a friend who got a whole bunch of new hens that are laying like crazy, so the custard was very yellow and strengthening.

Miss Amelia gave Cubby the Cheetos Paws when he was there stacking wood for her, because she is incapable of sending him home without snacks. The children approve of this.

I ate my tuna salad with lettuce, toasted pecans, dried cranberries, and shredded cheese. I find this to be a much more delicious way of eating it than just a pile of tuna.

Thursday

Short version: Leftovers

Long version: Most of the family had leftover beef stew. One child had tuna salad, a tortilla and cheese, and raw tomatoes. I had a salad with the last of the meatloaf and the last avocado from the commodities box. Yum.

Everyone (except me) also had some Coke from the liter bottle Cubby won in a game at the school pep rally. He generously shared, because no one should drink an entire liter of Coke. 

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

takeout
grd. beef/broccoli skillet, garlic bread, salad
tilapia w/asparagus baked in foil, roasted potatoes, salad
pork loin w/potatoes/carrots in crockpot, salad
chicken stir fry over rice
cheesesteaks, salad
leftovers for tonight
Linda

mbmom11 said...

Nothing as exciting as Cheetos Paws!
Maybe chicken stew over noodles? Last Friday has receded into the bog of time.
Saturday - Domino's pizza as a bribe for teen who had to go to a Confirmation retreat and wasn't happy about it.
Sun - baked chicken (plain or sandwiches),applesauce, and chips. It was supposed to be more fancy but I wasn't feeling well so punted using chips instead. I did make homemade applesauce, which was well received by half the crowd. The other half took store-bought applesauce cups (the heathens!).
Mon- chicken again -salad for husband, assorted for kids.
Tuesday - chicken yet again (I'm trying to be better about using leftovers and cooking enough for a few days). rice, veggies. I had the leftover stew on rice.
Wed - fish sticks, grilled cheese, waffle fries. Applesauce.
Thurs - I was going out for a meeting so made bacon for the boys, who ate it with bagels and assorted stuff, husband had salad with chicken and bacon. Tonight being a Friday in Lent means tuna salad for husband and grilled cheese for kids. Oh shoot - I forgot to get celery. So the menu might change again!

Gemma's person said...

Hope you all feel better.

Anonymous said...

Hello all...this week we ate:

Monday - Baked yams topped with butter honey and cashews, spinach salad

Tuesday - Grilled apple and Gouda cheese sandwiches (don't knock it, the combo works..particularly with crusty sourdough), cucumbers, carrots and Pringles

Wendsday - Sauted kielbasa peppers and onions with a side of roasted potatoes (huzbeast approved)

Thursday - Baked lemon chicken, monster clean out the veggie bin chef salads, sourdough toast

Friday - Tonight I was to brain dead to think of anything that I might want to cook and remembering that we had some leftovers to deal with....I picked up bacon (the sweaty little accountant in my brain was appalled at the price... Yoiks!) And we had huge blts with the last of the potatoes and pringles

Have a good weekend everyone!

Kit said...

Friday-eggs and oven-fried potatoes, carrots
Saturday-chicken fried steak, noodles, broccoli, chocolate cream pie in advance of Fat Tuesday. Six year old had noodles and pie. And a token raw carrot.
Sunday-chicken, sourdough biscuits, leftover broccoli, jam bars. Six year old ate chicken and biscuits! A win!
Monday-salmon loaf, baked potatoes, coleslaw
Tuesday-leftover chicken stirfried with vegetables, rice
Wednesday-cod, baked potatoes, coleslaw
Thursday-chicken enchiladas, peas

Kay said...

Sunday
S: Ham Steak, Hash Browns, Veg

Monday
S: Crockpot lasagna

Tuesday
S: ChefSalad (him) & Fried Rice (me)

Wednesday
S: Date Night-Red Robin burger (him) & nachos (me)

Thursday
S: Pancakes (him), LO Fried Rice (me)

Friday
S: Air Fryer Fish Sticks & Breaded Shrimp, ff

Saturday
S: Potato Soup & Rolls

Pam said...

Friday - the last of the dumpling noodle soup
Saturday - pizza with red sauce, Italian sausage, mushrooms and yellow pepper
Sunday - moose burgers in a red wine mushroom gravy, butternut squash, broccoli
Monday - leftovers from Monday with some egg noodles because there was very little squash left
Tuesday - beef and bean tacos
Wednesday - boneless chicken thighs cooked with some bok choy that needed to be used up, broccolini and mushrooms in a ginger miso sauce on soba noodles
Thursday - leftovers from Wed
Pam in Maine

Anonymous said...

I’m just laughing at “the sweaty little accountant in my brain”!!!

Daisy said...

Ah, the concession stands. Many times, schools or charitable organizations operate concessions. You can treat your family and know that your money will do good somewhere, somehow.