Friday, May 13, 2022

Friday Food: Short and Sweet

I do not appear to have felt very chatty this week. How unusual.

Friday 

Short version: Beef stir-fry, rice

Long version: A package of tenderized top round steaks cut into strips and marinated, then combined with onion, carrots, mushrooms, green beans, and bell peppers from the freezer. Tasty stir-fry. Slicing all the fresh vegetables is definitely more effort, but it's also better stir-fry than using frozen. True of so much.

Saturday

Short version: T-bone steaks, garlic bread, carrot sticks, random roasted things

Long version: While I was baking bread, I shoved many things into the oven, including thinly sliced onions, a pan of potato chunks, another pan of carrots and sweet potatoes, and the garlic bread. After the garlic bread was gone, some people started in on the potatoes, so I guess it was a good thing I made them.

Sunday

Short version: Bunless cheeseburgers, potato salad, raw cabbage, leftover carrots/sweet potato, chocolate pudding

Long version: Yes, I cook my own Mother's Day dinner. But I made it easy on myself by mostly including things that could be prepared ahead of time.

I made this potato salad (except with Russet potatoes, apple cider vinegar, onion powder, and half the amount of sugar) because A. does not enjoy mayonnaise-based potato salads, and I love every kind of potato salad. This is a good one for the mayonnaise-averse.


Also a good one for anyone who has a lot of dill in their garden. Which is everyone who has ever grown dill. It is a prolific self-seeder.

And then I made the pudding because I had a lot of milk that needed to be used soon, I could make it ahead of time, and I really love chocolate pudding.

Monday

Short version: Leftovers

Long version: Hamburgers, steak, potato salad, the very last of the ram/rooster stew for A. You know, workday food.


Potato salad is also good leftover.

Tuesday

Short version: Ground beef and bean tacos

Long version: I added another two-pound package of ground beef to the pound or so left from making hamburgers, along with half a can of black beans that was languishing in the refrigerator, to make the taco meat. 

We had both tomatoes and lettuce for a topping, so it was tacos deeeeluxe.

Or something.

Wednesday

Short version: Tuna salad sandwiches, fruit shakes

Long version: A. took Cubby to the sports banquet at school. I was tired after working, and it was 90 degrees out, so I took the easiest and coolest way out.

In our house, smoothies=fruit shakes. I had a couple of bananas that really needed to be used up, so that worked out.

Thursday

Short version: Tacos

Long version: Leftover meat and beans in tortillas. And it wasn't even a work day!

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?

10 comments:

Kit said...

Friday-beef and barley soup, muffins
Saturday-two pot roasts, one venison and one chuck, both small so I cooked them together, rotini, broccoli, lime cream cake because it was my husband's birthday. The 7 year old had rotini and cake.
Sunday-yes, I make dinner on Mother's Day too. Mexican meatloaf, baked potatoes, and coleslaw. The 7 year old had toast and apple slices.
Monday-last of the beef and barley soup and muffins
Tuesday-liver and bacon, baked potatoes, coleslaw
Wednesday-enchiladas, peas
Thursday-leftover meatloaf stirfried with frozen vegetables, salad with radishes and swiss chard from the garden (first of the year, yay!) sourdough biscuits

me said...

Fri- maybe tacos?
Sat- no clue
Sun- boring baked chicken, rice, vegetables. Popsicles for dessert.
Mon- husband out of town so tortilla chips and cheese or cereal for dinner.
Tues - heat wave begins. Burgers,, Hot dogs and chips. Popsicles and ice cream bars.
Wed- leftover.
Thurs- leftovers and cereal.
Tonight will be grilled meats and picnic foods as we have guests. I'll cut up some fruit and get more chips. Husband wants a pasta salad, but it depends I'd it's cool enough to cook pasta.
So with my underachieving week!

mbmom11 said...

Apologies for typos - trying to write comments with my kids thundering through.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Kit: I suspect there are more of us mothers who cook on Mother's Day than the advertising would like anyone to know.

me: Yeah, we had unseasonable heat this week too, and that always saps my energy, in the kitchen and elsewhere. I'm blaming that on my boring food week.

mil said...

I had Italian sausage with various vegetables most nights, except when I had pork stir fry. I did make one good thing on Wednesday, which was leek, potatoes, broccoli with cheese. I started the leeks boiling, and then I added some sliced potatoes, and then the peeled sliced broccoli stems, and finally the broccoli florets. Meanwhile, I made a white sauce with milk and with some of the vegetable cooking liquid. When everything was done, I combines the vegetables and sauce in an 8 x 8 pyrex, covered the whole with cheese, and baked for about a half hour. It worked out well--and last night, I had roasted asparagus, a couple of little red potatoes with cheese, and an egg. The asparagus was a gift of wild asparagus and was excellent. So very different from asparagus from a store.

Anonymous said...

take out
chicken chili, salad
spaghetti w/meatballs, salad
same
chicken BLT salad, bagels
shrimp roll sandwich, asparagus
And for tonight, hot dogs, asparagus.
Linda

mbmom11 said...

That sounds so good. Do you follow recipes for these meals or just get creative?

Kristin @ Going Country said...

mbmom11: If that question is for me, I very rarely follow recipes. I've been cooking long enough (and have little enough patience for referencing a recipe that slows me down in the kitchen) that I just wing it.

Jenny said...

I always wanted to ask, and finally am: what’s with the always bunless burgers? Just not convenient to buy or keep buns? Decreasing carbs? Long-time family bun aversion, due to a previous bun-related trauma?

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Jenny: It started because we had family members who didn't do well with store-bought bread, only homemade sourdough. And now, yes, A. and I do avoid excess carbohydrates. I do sometimes make sourdough rolls for a sandwich if I'm already making bread and think of it, but I don't ever buy store buns because they're kind of a nothing, nutritionally speaking. My kids are so used to not having the buns that they think it's a big treat when they do. Low standards again. :-)