Sunday, May 8, 2022

Snaphots: Happy Mother's Day

Here I am, a regular ol' mom in the middle of nowhere. And here are my photos from this week.


Poppy's friend brought a bag of her outgrown clothes with her when she came to spend the day with us on Tuesday, and then she carefully laid them all out for display. And THEN, she folded them all and helped Poppy put them away in her drawers. She folded them! Magic! (My kids do not fold clothes. They do sometimes put them away, but folding? No.)
 

I am delighted every morning by how the rising sun spotlights this arrangement of weeds the MiL picked with Poppy, and how the sun makes the peacock feather I hid in it absolutely glow. 

And now, plants! Because it's spring! And things are growing! YAY!


I have finally managed some successful kohlrabi, after a few years of failure. Turns out, just like cabbage, it cannot be direct-seeded here.


Only a few of the strawberries we planted last year survived, but those few have several strawberries apiece on them. This tiny plant has six strawberries on it already.


As this is only the second year for our asparagus, I stopped harvesting it already and am letting it grow into tall spears and then into the fun, feathery asparagus trees. I like to eat asparagus, but I also like how it looks after it grows into the actual plant.


Between marauding rabbits, hornworm defoliation, and cold weather, A. has had many setbacks with his grapevines. But he's pulled some of them through by developing some novel techniques for protection (stone enclosures like this, plus he actually buried them in dirt to overwinter this year), and he thinks he may even get grapes this year. 


Random shot Poppy insisted I take of of the honey/peanut butter/butter combination to be melted for the snack cookies. Fun fact: When all mixed together, this tastes exactly like melted peanut brittle.

There you have it! My life, snapshotted. 

And Happy Mother's Day to all other mothers out there. I hope your day is exactly as you wish it to be.

3 comments:

Kit said...

And a happy Mother's Day to you too! We're so lucky.

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day to you and to the MiL. Mary in MN

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day!
Linda