Friday, July 29, 2022

Friday Food: Runny Yogurt for Popsicles

Friday 

Short version: Barbecue meatballs, bread and butter, raw carrots

Long version: I had actually baked the meatballs the day before, when I had the oven on anyway to make bread. So I just re-heated them in a skillet on the stove and added some barbecue sauce to them.

Saturday

Short version: Leftover meatloaf or meatballs, rice, curried split peas, apricot popsicles

Long version: I found a container of curried split peas in the freezer that I figured ought to be used up. Three of the four children eat them, so they go pretty fast.

I made the popsicles mostly because my last batch of yogurt turned out too runny. That happens if I don't have the milk warm enough. Runny yogurt is good for smoothies and popsicles, though. To make these popsicles, I just mixed the yogurt with equal parts apricot jam and a very small amount of heavy cream. The result is delicious, and a lot easier than the chocolate pudding pops that require cooking.

Sunday

Short version: Barbecued pork ribs, rice, green salad with ranch dressing, pots de creme

Long version: A. bought a couple of racks of ribs at the store and cooked one rack this day. That required setting up a grill outside and monitoring them for several hours, so it's not something that happens often. They sure are popular with the children, however.


All that scrap metal the previous owner of our house left behind sure has come in handy.

Since I wasn't cooking the whole dinner, I had lots of time to chop up fresh dill and garlic for the ranch dressing.

Monday

Short version: Pot roast with potatoes and carrots, raw snap peas

Long version: I made a chuck roast in the morning with potatoes and carrots, and then just heated it up at dinnertime.

It's the summer kitchen schedule, for sure.

While I had the oven on in the morning, I also cooked a beet from the garden. I couldn't find any aluminum foil, so I improvised with a larger Pyrex inverted over a smaller one to make a covered dish for the beet.


Looks kind of like a glass mushroom.

Tuesday

Short version: Pot roast skillet, apricot popsicles

Long version: I chopped up the rest of the pot roast, carrots, and potatoes and fried that in butter with some leftover rice and frozen peas. Surprisingly tasty.

The popsicles were in honor of our anniversary. Also, it was hot and I had more runny yogurt to use up.

Wednesday

Short version: Egg 'n' things, canned peaches

Long version: I made a big skillet of scrambled eggs. Some of the family had them with the leftover rice and curried split peas. Some had them with tortillas and cheese. A. had his with the leftover pot roast skillet. 

And then everyone had some of the canned peaches the commodities lady had given us. One of the more popular commodities items in our house, for sure.

Thursday

Short version: Tacos, black beans, etc.

Long version: When A. grilled the pork ribs, he experimented with grilling a couple of pigs' feet, too. They didn't soften enough, though, so he asked me to cook them further in a soup or something. It finally cooled down enough that I could simmer something on the stove for a few hours without turning the kitchen into a sauna. 

So I simmered the pigs' feet in a couple of quarts of rooster stock from the freezer, along with some dried black beans, a bit of leftover onion, and a clove of garlic.

I had also taken out some of A.'s very spicy venison posole that I froze a few months ago, so I added the pigs' feet to that for him.

The kids had the meat in corn tortillas, and the beans if they wanted them. There were chopped lettuce, tomatoes (thanks, garden!) and avocado (thanks, commodities!) as well, but I didn't bother with a separate vegetable.

Oh, and I had the other half of the zucchini bread I made a couple of weeks ago and froze, too, so the kids had that after dinner.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

grilled pork chops, sweet corn, tomato/cucumber salad
takeout
parm/chicken/rice skillet with vegetables, tomatoes on the side
turkey burgers, cucumber/tomato salad, roasted potatoes
cheesy beef & potato casserole in the crockpot, cucumber/tomato salad
salad with chicken on top
And for tonight ham & cheese wraps or ham & cheese sandwiches, cucumber/tomato salad
Linda


mbmom11 said...

Fri- burgers, chips, misc.
Sat- leftovers
Sun- melted cheese on tortilla chips, leftovers
(Hot and muggy days menu)
Mon- cool day so stew, bread, vegetables, mashed potatoes.
Tues- chicken strips, fries, applesauce, misc
Wed-bacon, pancakes, blueberry pancakes, pineapple
Thurs-grilled chicken, rice, broccoli, cantaloupe, and chicken strips for boy who had band camp and needed a treat.(band camp require a lot of energy)
Fri- leftover chicken, tortilla chips with cheese or salsa because band boy tested positive for covid (thanks band camp) and 2 teens were out working, so no motivation to do more.
After the heat wave, I did bake cookie bars twice, cinnamon rolls, brownies, banana bread twice. This cool week is such a blessing in the end of July.
And the pancakes came about because I found a box of LL Bean breakfast pack my sister had sent at December and I put on the shelf to hide until Chrismas morning. Oops. however some people loved the blueberry pancake mix, and i mixed up the plain mix with some bisquick to even out the flavor.(tastes sour not in a good way to me). And for my kids any day with bacon is a good one.so unintentional win.

Anonymous said...

Hello, this week we ate:

Monday - Chicken Caesar salad, sliced tomatoes and cucumbers, bread.

Tuesday - Had leftover chicken from Sunday dinner still so I pureed it in the food processor and made chicken salad for sandwiches, watermelon and more cucumbers rounded out the meal.

Wendsday - Made a monster pasta salad in the morning (using every stray veggie and the last of the cheddar so a grocery trip is in order) and I served it over greens, bread.

Thursday - Sweet and spicy beans and sausages in the crock pot, toasted sourdough slices and cheese.

Friday - Put some potatoes to bake in the crockpot and we'll eat those with the last of the beans from Thursday.

Happy weekend everyone!

Kit said...

Friday-leftovers
Saturday-meat pies from the freezer, salad
Sunday-family birthday party. I brought lime cream torte, very popular in our family but not with me because I don't like lime juice. Which is good because I'm not tempted.
Monday-eggs, oven fried potatoes, salad, watermelon
Tuesday-tuna sandwiches, broccoli
Wednesday-beef fajitas made in the crockpot, salad, ice cream sandwiches. The 7 year old had a peanut butter sandwich and some grapes.
Thursday-Mexican meatloaf, baked potatoes, peas. And another peanut butter sandwich for the 7 year old.

JP2GiannaT said...

Monday: husband's "name day", or the feast day of the saint he's named after. So we had fancy cream cheese and jalapeno stuffed bacon wrapped meat that was on clearance at the store, homemade gnocchi (easy in a food processor and popular), and broccoli.

Tuesday: Homemade pizza made with leftover chicken and two Roma tomatoes languishing in the bottom of the fridge.

Wednesday: beans and rice. The beans involved a frozen smoked turkey leg we had in the freezer left over from a scouting fundraiser.

Thursday: Toad in a hole (photocopied recipe from a British published library book) made with a package of clearanced bratwurst and onions. Broccoli.

Friday: Mac and cheese bake (Alton Brown recipe) and.... broccoli.

Pam said...

Friday - camping with lots of family in the White Mts of NH. Collectively we ate hotdogs, burgers, grilled zucchini and fresh green beans. The last 2 from my sister's garden.
Saturday - still camping and we made chicken quesadillas with peppers and onions and toasted marshmallows for s'mores
Sunday - it had been a nasty, hot (for New England) and humid weekend so dinner at home was a salad with my lettuce(yay!), leftover quesadilla chicken, leftover grilled zucchini and whatever other veggies were lying around
Monday - tofu burgers with tzatziki sauce made with one of my cucumbers(yay!), leftover grilled zucchini
Tuesday - beef and bean tacos
Wednesday - Mexican baked eggs, crazy good rice
Thursday - barbecued ribs, local corn on the cob(yay!), kale salad. I am working to thin out my kale forest so am trying eat kale every day.
Pam in Maine

Gemma's person said...

Your grill area...looks like it wouldn't take to much to be able to long cook (simmer) and even bake out there. Summer cooking anyway.
Somebody mentioned lime cream torte ..going to look that up and maybe sub orange juice or some other citrus juice...sounds really good.

Kit said...

Gemma, it was me, and it's the easiest recipe in the world. It's just a yellow two layer cake sliced in half to make four layers. For the filling, mix a can of sweetened condensed milk and half a cup of lime juice. Then whip two cups of whipping cream til it's stiff and fold it in, and put it in between the layers and on top. Make it the day before you want it and put it in the fridge to get good and cold. I think you could substitute any citrus juice like orange or lemon juice, although I've never tried it.

Gemma's person said...

Thanks so much.
I see why they like it.... sound DE liteful. :)