Sunday, July 31, 2022

Snapshots: Two Inches of Rain!

Behold:


It has been months since we've seen anything like this in our rain gauge.

All that rain filled some of the holes the children have randomly dug in the pasture. And so of course they must play in them.


Just like a wading pool, except mostly mud.


And another good puddle outside the gate that apparently is perfect for lying down in.

All that rain has of course meant that I haven't had to water the garden lately, which I very much appreciate. I'm starting to get some good harvests of summer vegetables from it. 



That's basil in the colandar, which I made into pesto for the freezer, and those big cucumbers became refrigerator dill pickles.

Speaking of the garden, A. built a stone wall in the front of the vegetable garden by the driveway to replace the rotting board fence with peeling paint.


Old nasty fence with the wall behind it (and a LOT of tomatoes in front of it).


And with the boards removed. But posts left so I can put fencing on them next year for green beans.

And finally, I was able to pick the first sunflower for the return of the sunflower and sage table arrangement.


Now we know it's summer. (That greenish yellow thing in the front is a flowering head of dill, which I was using for a contrast to the purple until I had the sunflower.)

There you have it! My life, snapshotted.

8 comments:

Jody said...

So pretty. I am enjoying inside flowers sometimes now, but I like them outside so much because we have mostly zinnias. They attract so many butterflies, and I'm enjoying watching those.

Anonymous said...

? Fencing for green beans? Pole beans grow 6-8 feet. Can you elaborate? Great fence!!! Mil

Kristin @ Going Country said...

MiL: The Kentucky Wonder beans I grow would probably like a six-foot or higher trellis, but I usually just have them on a four-foot-high piece of fencing.

Anonymous said...

Cool stone fence! Beautiful flowers!
Linda

Karen. said...

Ooh, wow, two inches!

Drew @ How To Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

Is that an Irish-style wall, with stone sourced from the field it surrounds?

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Drew: Yup. All the stone gathered from the side of the road within a couple of miles of our house.

Tu mere said...

You’ve definitely got a flower arranging gift. Lovely (picture of vegetables as well). Not as good as a pool, but fun in the mud is still fun. Last but not least, everyone must have contributed to the wall. That’s a lot of rocks to transport and set in place. Looks much better than the still standing fence!