Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Growing Food: An Introduction

Although my dad had small gardens in a couple of our houses when I was a kid, I didn't start gardening myself until we moved to Blackrock and I had a GIANT established vegetable garden at my feet. I learned a lot from the MiL, and made a lot of my own mistakes.

Then we moved. And we have had a garden in the three houses we've lived in since: on the Canadian border, in a narrow strip in front of our house in a tiny northern New Mexico village, and here, where we started with bare dirt that seemed devoid of life

All those years and all those houses have had gardens, and I have grown food. It's what I do.


Also what I do is take an excessive number of photos of things I grew (and then ate).

People have asked me quite a few times over these fifteen or so years how I garden. Although I've written a lot about my gardens, I've never written about my actual process much. I decided to do it this year, though, because it really drives me crazy that most of the things written about gardening seem to imply that it takes a lot of start-up money for products.

It doesn't have to. I've never had a fancy set-up for seed starting, but I always start seeds. I've never tested my soil, but my plants grow. I don't have a drip system for watering, tomato cages, or even a trowel I can find reliably (thanks, kids). 

Maybe I would have bigger harvests if I had those things, but even without them, I still grow food.

I'm not an expert gardener, but I have found that seeds really want to grow. Really! It's their destiny! All you need to provide for them is a good-enough environment. It doesn't even need to be perfect. Plants have a great survival drive, and will grow and produce food even in non-optimal conditions. Maybe not as much food, but always some.


Tomatoes grown without benefit of soil blocks, garden grow lights, purchased amendments, or a pH tester.

I'm not the sort of person who enjoys keeping data and being precise about things. So I don't do that. I have found over the years the way that works for me, and that is the minimal input needed to produce at least some output. Sort of lazy gardening, I suppose, although that's actually an oxymoron. Growing things is hard work, even with shortcuts.

I suppose my gardening philosophy can be summed up thusly: Grow food with the least amount of expense and effort possible.

With that in mind, tune in tomorrow for the beginning of our garden year: Seeds!


7 comments:

Mary W said...

My mother always said that tomato cages caused the plants to use all their energy growing up instead of producing tomatoes. She wasn't much of a gardener, but she loved her home-grown tomatoes.

Anonymous said...

I’m looking forward to reading your gardening process, so thank you for taking the time to write about it.

Fiona said...

I like your gardening philosophy. Once I inherited an established balcony garden but five moves and two babies later there is nothing left except for seeds that are probably too old by now. So I'm looking forward to soaking up your wisdom and someday when we have a patch of soil...

Mei said...

I have always wanted to garden. I almost did before I got married but I married into the Navy and have not had the opportunity since. In retirement maybe.

Anonymous said...

I am anticipating a better garden this year: sheep leavings, old hay, and a fenced-off area farther from rodents should lead to success. Last year I did not get ahead of the voles.

Daisy said...

I don't keep records, either. Last year I had foot surgery (twice!) and it kept me out of the garden. This coming year looks to be better - as soon as I make the fence taller to keep the deer out.

Tu mere said...

Resourceful animals and pests looking for an easy buffet is one of the frustrating challenges. Alaska was a prime example with the moose. Loved the idea when we first moved into our new home, but just couldn’t find the optimum garden spots, not too hot but not too shady. Add the cost and excessive use of water and it just doesn’t make eating the minor amount of produce worth it. However, love looking and eating your bounty when we visit!