Sunday, November 26, 2023

Snapshots: Light in the Dark

This is the time of year when I feel we need more light indoors. That's why I don't wait until Christmas to put up the lights on the decorative iron thing in between the kitchen and dining areas.


We'll call them winter lights.

Those are the lights the MiL gave me last year when I said the old lights we found here at the house had started to burn out and I couldn't find any replacements that weren't bright white and glaring. She got these at Tractor Supply. They are certainly less glaring than most modern white lights, though not quite as mellow as the old lights. Then again, those old lights probably have some toxic ingredient that is no longer permissible in light manufacturing, so I'm happy with the new ones.

Thanks, MiL.

Of course, we still have our candles on the table.


Before Thanksgiving Day, the candles were complemented by this turkey my mother gave me twenty years ago, plus the pine cone candles my sister brought us.


On Thanksgiving Day, I put new candles on the table, along with a festive arrangement of dried weeds gathered on my morning run.


I took that run before the sun was even up. It was the only way I could get it and a shower done before waking everyone up for church at 8:30 a.m. It was nice, though, because I got to watch the sun rise as I chugged along.

Yesterday we had our first significant snow of the season.



Less than an inch, but exciting nonetheless.

Woodstove season has definitely arrived, which means the top of the stove is now covered in warming clothing in the morning for a toastier dressing experience.


Just make sure the clothes don't touch that stovepipe in the back, unless you want some pyrotechnics to enliven your morning. As I know from personal experience. Sorry about that scorched shirt, son.

Lastly, and speaking of the woodstove, I bought myself an early Christmas present.


Aren't log holders what everyone wants for Christmas?

We had been using one of the old drawers from the boys' bunkbed as a wood box, but it fell apart. I never liked it anyway. It took up too much room and collected dirt and trash from boxes and so forth. This rack looks much better. Handy for hanging damp snow apparel on, too.

There you have it! My life, snapshotted.

4 comments:

mbmom11 said...

The log holder is great! Multipurpose and sleek. The Woodstove clothes warmer is dreamy- I admit to putting clothes in the dryer on cold morning for my kids who run cold.
We just got 3 inches of wet snow- snowball fight time! After we shovel the incredibly long driveway.
Enjoy your Sunday!

Gemma's person said...

You reminded me. I have one I need to get it out and use it. Will make it easier for me, I think.
The snow, beautiful!
It is raining here, one of those long slow fall rains. Should charge up the soil with moisture for spring planting and make the creek run fuller or is that more full.

Gemma's person said...

I JUST checked our weather. They are calling for 27 degrees tonight and possible snow flurries during the night. Eeek! No, I love watching it snow and if I don't need to get out, I don't.

Mei said...

A wood stove is a simple pleasure that I miss very much. The only thing that would make it a chore is I have no nephews to bribe to split the wood. Lol