Friday, December 1, 2023

Friday Food: Turkey and Tortillas

Friday 

Short version: Leftovers in casserole form

Long version: I don't know if it's because we only got an 18-pound turkey this year instead of 22 pounds ("only," ha), or if everyone just ate more of it, or if it's because we had a guest and I sent leftovers home with him, but we really didn't have a ton of leftovers from Thanksgiving this year.

There were a few cups of dressing, about a cup of mashed potatoes, and some turkey, plus gravy, which I unceremoniously mixed all together with some frozen peas in the casserole dish the dressing was in and baked. That was dinner.

It tasted good, but half the family apparently does not like dressing soft. I don't like it mushy and tend to make it on the crispier side, so they've had no experience with wetter dressing, and they did not like it. Good to know.

There was also a selection of leftover desserts, although since everyone had pie for breakfast, the servings were pretty small. 

This was also the day I put away the Thanksgiving decorations.


So long, Sight-word Turkey. See you next year.

Saturday

Short version: Elk burgers, oven fries, green salad with vinaigrette, maple snow

Long version: The elk burgers were very well-received. I guess we need to grind more of the elk.

The children collected clean snow in the morning specifically so they could eat it with maple syrup, like Laura does in Little House in the Big Woods, which is our current book for reading aloud at bedtime. Some wanted just the syrup on their snow, some opted to have heavy cream on there, too. All were happy.

Sunday

Short version: Bull and elk chili, crackers, peanut butter cookies

Long version: I wanted to make cornbread to go with the chili, but I didn't have any yogurt. I use yogurt in place of the large quantity of buttermilk in my cornbread recipe, so . . . crackers instead.

And these peanut butter cookies, with chopped almonds added in.

Monday

Short version: Rice+leftovers skillet meal, carrot sticks

Long version: I used a container of turkey and turkey broth that I had meant to put in the freezer to make dinner this night after work. All I did was dump that in a skillet, add rice, and salsa, spices, simmer until the rice was soft, then stir in some grated cheddar cheese.

Tuesday

Short version: Chorizo+egg burritos, grapes

Long version: Unexpected work day thanks to subbing. I took out a bag of elk chorizo to thaw before I left for work. When I got home, I fried the chorizo, scrambled some eggs in the pan with it, and stirred in shredded cheese. Then I went for a run.

When I got home, I found everyone eating burritos with the chorizo and egg mixture in flour tortillas, which was my plan all along. Nice when things work out like that.

The grapes came from the commodities lady. She gave us three bags of red grapes, and miraculously, they were crisp and tasty. The grapes that make it to us out here in the hinterlands tend to be in the soft and wrinkling stage, so it was nice to get some that were in good shape. Also nice because I didn't make a vegetable for this meal.

Let's have a photo here, slightly related to food:


Can you spot the horse in this photo? This is what I see on my laps past our house on my runs: Cora staring at me, willing me with the power of her mind to give her hay.

Wednesday

Short version: Re-combined leftovers

Long version: I got home around 5:30 p.m. with the first communicant to find that eldest son had prepared dinner for his sister and dad using the leftover rice skillet meal. He added some other things to it and served it with corn tortillas. So that's what the kid who came home with me had, too. A. filled in his meal with some canned beef stew from commodities. 

To the rest of the rice mixture, I added the bit of leftover chorizo and eggs, and put that in tortillas for the other two boys.

For myself, I used the last container of turkey and broth to make a soup that also included leftover roasted carrots and onion, leftover mushrooms, and frozen peas. A surprisingly good soup. Good thing I never did get around to freezing all those containers of turkey and broth.

Thursday

Short version: Various things

Long version: I was at our school's annual holiday craft party with the younger two. We ate the finger foods and snacks there. I must confess to a particular liking for taquitos.

At home, A. made bean and cheese tacos. He fries the tortillas for these, which is something I never do, so it's a fun version of my boring ones. 

And that's the third night in a row that featured tortillas of some kind for dinner.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?


4 comments:

mbmom11 said...

Oops- could you remove my mistaken post?
Fri- leftovers, though I made new mashed potatoes, ramen noodles, and another batch of buttermilk rolls as everyone loved them and my poor husband hadn't gotten one. Brownies.
Sat- homemade pizza - sauage or pepperoni as desired. chocolate chip cookies.
Sun- special Olympic basketball ball practice for daughter, and the boys go along to help. I bought them ice cream afterwards to reward their efforts, so no one wanted a big dinner. taco meat from the freezer, instapot chocolate cake. It was okay, but really, it's easier just to bake in the oven.
Mon- a cold day, so chicken stew, mashed potatoes, carrots, broccoli , and homemade bread. A little underdone, but after it cooled, it was okay.
Tues- basketball game, in which they lost but not too badly, so grilled cheese and chips and applesauce for an easy meal. Chocolate chip muffins.
Wed- far away basketball game, so teen son took care of dinner for everyone at home. Leftover pizza from freezer and French fries. Husband added some pb sandwiches. I had popcorn at the game. I did buy son a milkshake on the trip home as the team lost big time and needed cheering up.
Thurs- spaghetti and red sauce, broccoli, garlic bread. Ice cream for dessert.
I only leftovers from Thanksgiving for one day- small turkey and I get tired of turkey quickly. Honestly, I only have turkey because the kids expect it. Many of them don't even eat it.
Enjoy this December weekend!



Mei said...

Friday: Turkey Tetrazzini, Green Salad, Dinner Rolls
Saturday: Roast Chicken, Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower, Kale Salad
Sunday: Turkey Teriyaki Bowls, Sauteed Green Beans, Cucumber Salad with Ginger
Monday: Beef Enchilada Soup, Buttermilk Cornbread, Green Salad with Jalapeno Ranch Dressing
Tuesday: Cranberry Pecan Chicken Salad, Steamed Cauliflower and Broccoli, Peanut Butter Swirl Bars
Wednesday: Pork Chops with Pears, Turmeric Rice, Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Thursday: Stuffed Pepper Soup, Challa Bread

Enjoy your weekend!

Kit said...

Friday-chicken fried steak, (leftover) mashed potatoes, (leftover) kale salad, and I made another pumpkin pie
Saturday-leftover turkey, gravy, stuffing. Green beans and last of the pie.
Sunday-turkey sandwiches, carrots, banana cake
Monday-leftover cube steaks, baked potatoes, coleslaw
Tuesday-turkey and potato chowder, biscuits
Wednesday-Mexican turkey casserole, coleslaw
Thursday-scrambled eggs with bacon and onions, baked potatoes, coleslaw

Becky said...

Re buttermilk: I make my own yogurt and drain it overnight to make it more Greekish. I put the whey that drains off it into a jar and use it whenever buttermilk is called for (like in the soda bread I often make). If I buy plain yogurt in a pinch, I do the same with the whey that accumulates in the container as I use it.