Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Some Randomness

I had a plan to post Aunt Belvie's recipe for pickled beets today, but just as I was about to start writing that at 5:30 this morning, I got a call asking if I could substitute for one of the elementary teachers.

So that's what I did instead of sharing Aunt Belvie's pickled beet recipe with all of you today. Not to worry! I will make sure to do it next week, because the world--in the form of the wide web--needs this recipe.

But in the meantime, I'll just write out a few things that come into my head. Because my head is fun sometimes.

Remember how I told you about my online student who joined his English Zoom meeting on the back of a horse while gathering cattle? I had another student this past week who joined for only the last two minutes of his meeting, full of apologies because he was helping his dad move bulls and it took longer than they thought it would. 

That has always been my experience when moving sheep, and they're nowhere near as difficult as bulls, so I could appreciate the situation. I was amused, though.

I'm following one of those Couch to 5K plans that are all over online as a way to motivate me in my return to running. I do much better following a schedule, because then I have no excuses. I run on the days that schedule tells me to run. I chose a plan that has me running on Tuesdays and Thursdays so I could do it when I was home. Except I wasn't home today, and I didn't get home until 4:20 p.m. 

It gets dark about 5 p.m. I had a pot of bread dough overflowing on the counter--another inconvenience to working unexpectedly--and dinner to make for everyone so they could eat before going to judo. 

I was very impressed with myself that I got the dough kneaded, chorizo and eggs for dinner made before I left for my run, and my run done just before it got fully dark.

I don't want to do that again, though, so I really hope I don't have to be at work on Thursday.

Speaking of chorizo and eggs . . . I also added some shredded cheese to that before putting it all in tortillas, and it occurred to me that burrito sure packs a powerful protein punch (alliteration alert!). I should make those more often for my extremely rapidly growing sons.

Okay. I think I'll stop there with this mental meandering. Though I feel I should leave you with a photo.


An early morning run with the dogs.

Catch you on the flip side.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How far are you running? I'm going to check out the couch to 5K. I'm not a runner, though. More of a hiker/walker, lift a few weights at home.
Linda

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Linda: I'm not entirely sure how far I run in a session, because I track time, not distance. I like that much better. So the intervals start at 1 minute running and 1 minute walking, ten times, and then the running interval increases while the walking interval decreases over the course of six weeks. It's never for more than 30 minutes total. I'm guessing the distance covered would be around 3 miles by the time it's all finished, though, given that it's supposed to be training for a 5K. This is the one I'm following, almost entirely because the running days are the days I have off from work. :-)

https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/5km/a760067/six-week-beginner-5k-schedule/

Anonymous said...

Running intervals is the very best way to go; sounds like an excellent plan. MIL

Mary W said...

So glad to hear about your running program! My pool sponsors an annual winter challenge. If you swim 1000 minutes between December 1 and March 1, you earn a prize. Last year was a towel (yay!), this year it's a long-sleeve t-shirt (again???). It's a great motivator for me. The woman who runs it is waaaay into it and her enthusiasm really helps me get up before work and swim 3 or 4 days a week. She even put hole reinforcements on the pages that go into the logbook--I can't let her down.

Kristen said...

Ohhh, I love chorizo and eggs! So freaking good.