Friday, March 8, 2024

Friday Food: Many Cheesy Things

Friday 

Short version: Scrambled eggs with chili beans and cheese, cornbread, raw broccoli

Long version: We have a lot of eggs on hand now. Our chickens have started picking up their laying, so we get four or five a day from them. My friend at school with way more chickens has a lot right now, too, so I've been buying them from her.


One day's production from our chickens.

I like having excess eggs. I can preserve the really clean ones in lime for future use, and I always have a quick meal at hand when I need one.

Like this night, when I opted for very easy scrambled eggs. Adding the chili beans and cheese gave them more flavor, though. And I did take the time to make cornbread, so it was slightly more like a dinner and less like breakfast.

Saturday

Short version: Fried chicken in sandwiches (or not), baked beans, bread and butter, raw radishes

Long version: We had quite a bit of the grocery-store fried chicken left. Two boys wanted the pickle and mayonnaise sandwiches again. The others had the chicken just re-heated (in the oven, because chicken should never be heated in a microwave) and plain, with the bread and butter.

We had a lot of beans this week. Because I cooked a lot of beans, both chili beans and baked beans.

Sunday

Short version: Elk burritos in homemade tortillas, chili beans, custard

Long version: I had thawed a bag of elk stew meat, but didn't want to make stew. Instead I made basically a chili with it, but cooked it down until it was more saucy than liquidy. That was the filling for the burritos, along with more of the chili beans I already had.

Because it was Sunday, I took the time to make homemade flour tortillas. I wanted to make them like those translucent ones you can buy from the ladies in Tucson who sell them door to door in apartment complexes and things. I figured the translucence comes from lard. So I used a recipe that called for lard.


They puffed satisfactorily, which is always fun.

They were very good, but not translucent. Needed more lard, I bet.

I made this custard, which I haven't made in awhile. But now is the time for it, because we have lots of eggs.

I didn't overbake it. Yay.

Monday

Short version: Elk skillet, more radishes

Long version: I made rice before I left for work for the child staying home with a sick stomach. When I got home, I used that rice, plus the rest of the chili elk and the last of the chili beans, and grated cheese, to make this skillet meal. 

Tuesday

Short version: Bacon and cheese omelets, bread and butter

Long version: I had to sub this day, and didn't have anything made ahead of time for dinner. Fast eggs again. The omelets also used up the three egg whites left from making the custard. I fried a few pieces of bacon to put in the omelets, which was my great effort for dinner this night.

I didn't manage a vegetable. Oh well.

Wednesday

Short version: Toasted ham and cheese sandwiches, Snow's clam chowder, apple slices

Long version: Still working! Still no prepared food! But we did have some deli ham with which to make toasted sandwiches.

It made A. very happy to sit down to a melty sandwich and Snow's. Incidentally, should you ever feel moved to buy Snow's, make sure to get the condensed kind. You add your own milk to it, which means you're not paying for water in the can, and also you can add whole milk and/or cream to it. This of course makes it better. 

Since I served cheesy sandwiches with the Snow's, I made it with just milk this time.

And look at me, serving produce! Very proud of myself for cutting up some apples, yes.

Thursday

Short version: Lamb, mashed potatoes, sauteed zucchini, raw radishes, lemon jello

Long version: Finally not working, so I had time to make something that did not involve melted cheese. 

The lamb was a boned leg roast that I marinated for a few hours, then browned in a skillet, sliced, and returned to the pan to finish cooking. I also added the rest of the diced onion from burrito night, chopped garlic, apple cider vinegar, and cold butter to make a sauce.

The zucchini was from commodities. All I did with that was slice it and saute it in olive oil with garlic and salt.

I made the jello for the most recent child with an upset stomach. I buy lemon juice in bulk, so I pretty much just made lemonade, then added gelatin. I added more this time--five tablespoons of gelatin to about 10 cups of liquid--and it gelled properly this time. This made a very large Pyrex of jello. Luckily, although the child I made it for didn't like it much, the rest of the family did. A. was particularly enthusiastic about it.

Refrigerator check!


Not too empty, actually. We are getting a little low on milk, but A. will be near a grocery store tomorrow.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?


3 comments:

mbmom11 said...

Fri- left over tuna salad, fish sticks, grilled cheese. Does ice cream count as a vegetable?
Sat- down in big city for young teens confirmation at Cathedral. Big sister gave him a chocolate cake to take home. I got home to starving boys, so I made grilled cheese. Chocolate cake was a big hit- I need to make chocolate mousse as picky kid loved that as a filling to the cake. If someone at a vegetable, there is no record of it.
Sun- hamburgers, fries, apple slices, pineapple. I have a apple cover that makes 16 slices - which is why we eat apple slices a lot. The kids like them better than a whole apple.
Mon- chicken sttrips, fries, broccoli, and random bacon I needed to cook.
Tues- taco Tuesday, though I had toast.
Wed- homemade Mac and cheese, plain pasta for kids, red sauce or cheese if desired, chicken patty for picky kid, broccoli, pineapple.
Thurs- I was out with daughter at Special Olympics fundraiser, and left sliced chicken breast ( from the freezer), rice, and broccoli. Kids managed to feed themselves. Husband had chicken sandwiches. Daughter had rice and chicken on our return; I had toast.
I'm trying to eat a filling lunch, so I'm not always hungry at dinner. Ramen and broccoli or a baked potato seems to sate my appetite. I'm eating less junk.

mbmom11 said...

Sorry - many more typos than usual. I got up late today and in a rush. Apple corer! Enjoy the week.

Kit said...

Friday-tuna salad in a pita, cauliflower. NObody ate the cauliflower but me, even though I explained at length that it was nice and fresh and you hardly ever see a nice cauliflower in the store, etc. etc.
Saturday-pork sausages, baked potatoes, coleslaw
Sunday-chicken vegetable soup, biscuits
Monday-leftover stuffed peppers, coleslaw
Tuesday-more soup, with muffins this time.
Wednesday-chicken enchiladas from the freezer, cauliflower. A cauliflower is pretty big when you're eating the whole thing yourself.
Thursday-ham sandwiches, coleslaw