Friday, July 31, 2026

Friday Food: A Plethora of Eggs

Friday 

Short version: Refried bean Frito pie

Long version: I had a big can of black beans we got somewhere that I made into refried beans. I was going to make quesadillas with it, but then I remembered the Fritos (actually Food Club Crunchy Corn Chips, of course) I had bought the week before and used the refried beans to make Frito pie. 

Much more exciting. Kind of.

Saturday

Short version: Grilled steaks, tomato-y rice, green salad with ranch dressing, ice cream

Long version: I had a little bit of onion I had cooked earlier in the day, plus a little tomato sauce in the refrigerator, so I used those, plus butter and some Chicken Better Than Bouillon to make the rice, which was very popular.

Steaks are always popular as well, especially when I grill them. 

Children had picked out the ice cream at the store the week before. They chose mint chocolate chip and black cherry, two flavors I find very easy to refuse.

Sunday

Short version: Parish potluck food, and then leftovers

Long version: I brought German potato salad and crispy rice treats to the parish potluck. They provided hamburgers and hot dogs. It started at 1 p.m. and we were home by 3:30 p.m. This is too early for my family to have dinner, and most of them wanted to eat again around six. They had leftover steak and rice.

Monday

Short version: Leftover gyro beef and rice, cheese omelet, German potato salad, cabbage, cucumbers, ice cream

Long version: Most of the kids had the tomato-y rice and some of the gyro ground beef I had frozen the week before, just heated together in the microwave. 

I made a cheese omelet for A. and one of the kids, who also had leftover German potato salad.

Tuesday

Short version: Italian sausages, pesto bread, green salad with ranch dressing, canned peaches

Long version: The basil is doing pretty well this year, thankfully, and needed to be trimmed. I made pesto and froze most of it, spreading a little of it on the last of some buns I had made last time I baked bread.


This was the day we got commodities boxes at the post office. We got two, because they had an extra one. They included a few cans of peaches. The commodities peaches are the kind in just fruit juice. I buy the ones in heavy syrup when I buy peaches, but if they're free, I'm good with the pear juice.

We also keep getting individual bags of dried cranberries and raisins, which Poppy helped me dump out into glass jars for better storage.

Wednesday

Short version: Bunless hamburgers, leftover German potato salad, dill pickles

Long version: I made the hamburgers just because I was trying to come up with something to go with the potato salad so I could use it up.

I made the dill pickles with cucumbers the boys brought me from the lady they work for on Saturdays. She gave me lots of cucumbers last year, and remembered me again this year. Thank goodness, because the cucumbers that germinated got bitten off by a rat. We trapped the rat and I re-planted. And then ANOTHER plant that germinated got bitten off and we trapped ANOTHER rat.

Filthy things.

Anyway, I have two and a half plants left, and they aren't growing very well, so I was extremely happy to get some cucumbers. I immediately made two jars of refrigerator dill pickles and we ate some of them this night.

Thursday

Short version: Popeye's-style sandwiches, coleslaw

Long version: One of the boys had been asking wistfully if I could buy fried chicken to make Popeye's-style sandwiches, which involve fried chicken, mayonnaise, and pickles.

I was going to Walmart this day, so I promised I would get fried chicken. But then the Walmart only had chicken wings, which are not useful for sandwiches. I was planning on getting a rotisserie chicken instead, but then when I got to the place in the meat department where they sometimes have half-priced frozen rotisserie chickens, I found not only rotisserie chickens there, but also one bag of eight pieces of fried chicken.

Kismet.

So of course I bought that. I thawed/re-heated those in a cast iron skillet so the skin would be mostly crispy, and we had the sandwiches after all. 

I had made the coleslaw in the morning. Good thing, because I didn't get home until almost 5 p.m.

Refrigerator check:


I bought five dozen eggs and came home to find our neighbor had dropped off three dozen. And I still had two and a half dozen. So now we have a LOT of eggs.

 Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?

8 comments:

mbmom11 said...

So many eggs! I forsee more omelettes, quiches, and frittatas in your future! Do your kids eat hard boiled eggs? Those are good for a quick snack or lunchbox addition.
I forgot to write down meals this week. There was rotisserie chicken ( walmart frozen special!) With baked potatoes, hamburgers, Italian sausage, pasta, grilled chicken with bland rice ( ran out of bouillon), string beans, broccoli, and lots of apple slices. A few nights I just had an ice cream sandwich later as dinner didn't appeal. Baking on cool days- yesterday made cookie bars and chocolate cake; this morning I just took cinnamon rolls out of the oven.
My new oven has a long middle section for a grddle on the stove top, so I tried grilled cheese ( okay) and son did bacon and eggs ( pretty good). I'm not sure hoe or why to use the convection aspect of the oven. Also air fry- but I think that's just faster convection.
I'm really at the point in summer where I'd rather just eat cereal or a little ice cream and forgo dinner; unfortunately most other people in my house have strong opinions on food.
Enjoy the weekend!

Martha said...

So many eggs!!! I hope your boys like them!
Fri- my sister and her kids were visiting so we went to a gastrobar (adults only). I had salmon, potatoes, and asparagus
Sat- day at Lake Michigan dunes so we ordered pizza
Sun- snacks at the pool
Mon- brats, fries, zucchini
Tues- bacon and ice cream. I gave up
Wed- swim team end of year banquet. I brought garlic zucchini and cucumbers. We have so many cucumbers- yesterday the kids pulled 15 from the garden. And the zucchini count was 12!
Thurs- Philly cheesesteak with sautéed vegetables
My oldest 3 boys are at camp two states away this week so I only had to make maybe half of the food as usual. It was incredible how much less kids under 12 eat!

Plaidkaren said...

The pesto bread looks sooooo good!!

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Most of them will eat hardboiled eggs plain, everyone will eat deviled eggs. So I'll probably be making those several times in the near future.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

If giving up means bacon and ice cream, my children wish I would give up, too.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

It is! I had some butter on there, too, because why not?

Anonymous said...

All sounds delish, what is the difference in just potato salad and German potato salad ? Have a good weekend.

M from Florida said...

Saturday: ham and cheese sandwiches, sweet kiss melon, pretzels.
Sunday: roast boneless turkey breast, mashed potatoes with gravy, yellow squash, Italian bread.
Monday: Pork chops with bourbon glaze, my husband had a potato and I had macaroni and cheese, salad.
Tuesday: Spaghetti with meat sauce, salad, and Italian bread.
Wednesday: We had takeout barbecue. Pulled pork and sliced beef, french fries, cole slaw, baked beans, garlic bread. It's a new place near our house and we will go again.
Thursday: My husband went out with friends and I went elsewhere with a friend for lunch, so it was just peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for dinner.
Tonight: Either leftover turkey or salmon cakes.