Monday, August 11, 2008

OCD? A-OK!

It's Monday morning and, uncharacteristically, I did not have a plan for my post today. I usually have a plan, because planning ahead is what I do. I'm a little OCD* that way. I think everyone has their own OCD tendencies, and I am certainly no exception.

For instance, when I go to Town to run errands, I plan out the route I need to take to hit every stop in order of location, hours of operation, and purchase of perishable items. So it goes something like this in my head, "Okay, I need to go to the feed store, the library, the dry cleaners, the liquor store, Home Depot, and the grocery store. The feed store is in the opposite direction on Route 34, so I'll go there first, then take 34 into Town. Then I'll take North Street to Main Street, and go to the library. The library doesn't open until 10 a.m., so I'll leave the house at 9:30 a.m. After the library, I'll stop at the dry cleaners. Then, I'll take Division Street to the extension, stopping at the liquor store on the corner, to get to Home Depot. Then Washington Street back to Main to go to the grocery store."

I think this all through in my head before I leave, so I won't waste time back-tracking and driving unnecessarily. If something is unexpectedly closed, it throws off my whole schedule. And then my head explodes. Yes, I'm a little bit of a control freak.

I am also a compulsively early person. I've spent a large portion of my life sitting in my car, waiting until it's time to go into the job interview/party/store when it opens, because I'm always there at least 10 minutes early, often 30. Being late makes me twitchy. Thank God I married a man who is at least always on time, otherwise I would spend my whole life twitching uncontrollably and nagging at him to hurry up. Not that I don't already do my fair share of this, since he'll be on time, but I MUST BE EARLY.

I'm very lovable.

But at least I've calmed down a little since high school, when I wouldn't start driving until my trip odometer was set at zero. And if I was getting close to my destination and the tape I was listening to was about to start with a new song, I'd turn it off so when I got back in the car I wouldn't be in the middle of a song. OH, THE HORROR!

Christ, did I have some issues, or what?

But I know I'm not the only one. So spill: What OCD behaviors do you indulge in?

*OCD, for those who may have been under a nice, cozy rock, is Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. Think Jack Nicholson in "As Good As It Gets." It is an actual mental disorder, for which people seek treatment and medication. OF COURSE I'm not saying I really have OCD, but that doesn't mean we can't all have our own leanings towards those behaviors. Aaaaand, end of disclaimer.

10 comments:

SaraPMcC said...

I do things in the same order every day. Does that mean I have OCD? Does washing my hands compulsively and using a paper towel to touch the door handle mean I have a problem? Probably. I won't even get into all my routines. It'd be too scary. Suffice it to say you're not the only one who plans like that.

Leslie said...

I have a chore schedule for the week - I do one thing each day as opposed to one cleaning day. It makes cleaning a whole lot more manageable and helps my apartment maintain some kind of order. Kristin can attest to the fact that I'm a clean-freak. There are some things you just have to embrace.

It's me said...

I'm always early. Always.

My mantra: If you're early you're on time. If you're on time you're late.

Unfortunately, Husband is always late. Always.

And your description of errands sounds intelligent and well-planned, not compulsive.

FinnyKnits said...

Um, yes.

I mean, we've already established that we are insane twins separated at birth or whatever, so I'm not really surprised that you're this way, because I'm also this way. Just in California.

I do not like to be too early, too late (suicide would ensue) or inefficient. All of these things make me insane.

I'd go into details but then I'd have to admit that I also plan around how to efficiently insert a trip to Wendy's into my errand schedule and that would be embarrassing.

Roger A. Post said...

I'm no planner, but it seems that South St. to William St. to Westlake Ave. to Fort St. to "Main St." is the nicest way to get to the library while avoiding most of the traffic. It might be a bit shorter, too.

My OCD is rinsing and stacking dirty dishes, glasses, bowls, etc. neatly on the counter (plates, left front; bowls, left rear; glasses and cups right rear; etc.)rather than leaving them unrinsed and placed at random before dish washing time.

Anonymous said...

Am I OCD? hmmm. Is flying by the seat of your pants a form, or maybe procrastinating? because I obsessively compulsively leave everything to the last minute possible.

MsPicketToYou said...

i'm early too! sometimes i drive around the block to not look so early.

OCD: i wish i had it and i wish it involved cleaning or laundry or cooking.

Sweet Bird said...

It's nice to know there are some other people who are compulsively early. I'm always waaay early for everything, which makes it so I can't stand waiting on people who are late. And don't even get me started on the doctor's office...2 hours late for an appt? FU.

My OCD thing is having the house neat. I can't let it get messy or it drives me insane. Really. Insane. Ask Husband, he'll vouch.

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

Read this. And all the comments. I claimed a bunch of the list. Select about half of the ones from the comments and maybe one or two more from the original list that I wouldn't cop to. That's me.


PS: Don't tell anyone I was reading this on vacation. I'm just supposed to be posting the apple crisp recipe. (If you see this before midnight, the apple crisp will appear shortly.)

Anonymous said...

I cannot stand to walk around in bare feet, unless I am on the beach. The very thought of stepping on something like a hair (GAG) or a crumb of food (DOUBLE GAG)is too much for me to handle. And walking around in socks usually isn't any good either. It's flip-flops around the house for me. Is that OCD? Or just weird? I'm going with weird.