Saturday, November 21, 2009

Good Times in the Small City

I have mentioned, in passing, the Small City, which is the city closest to our house. It is, as you may have guessed (if you're REALLY SMART) pretty small. It is also, for the most part, kind of stuck in 1985. And I mean that in the best way possible. There is a "mall," which has about two dozen stores, MAYBE, and features JC Penney. Home Depot did open in the Small City a few years ago, but there are a lot more independent stores that have been around a long time. There is still no Target.

But there IS a movie theater. Two, even. One of them has four screens, the other six. Neither of the theaters has stadium seating. It is still possible at these throwback theaters to buy popcorn and soda for five dollars. For both, not each. And it is possible to walk into those theaters on the opening day of New Moon* ten minutes before the movie starts and sit in an almost empty theater. Which I did yesterday. It was, granted, the middle of a workday. But I counted 23 other people in the theater, and that is BY FAR the most crowded I have ever seen a theater in the Small City.

And that is why I love the Small City. (Well, that and the fact that it has a farm store. Which is right next to the theater I went to. Which is why I went to the movie, because I was buying chicken food and the movie was starting in 10 minutes.)

* In case you've been living in a cave, this is the newest of the "Twilight" movies about teenager vampires and werewolves.

8 comments:

Country Gone City said...

Ooooooooh! I love a good farm store! My favorite-- Atwoods- where you can buy both live chickens and a new outfit (head to toe). Unfortunately, there is no Atwoods near my "big" city ; (.

Mayberry Magpie said...

We love Atwoods, too, or any kind of farm store, but there's another, non-chain type, only 16 miles away in a wide-spot in the road, which we frequent whenever we can. The very best in Oklahoma is called Stillwater Milling, but it's 40 miles away so we hardly ever get there.

Have missed the Twilight phenom. Or, uh, not missed it, really. :-)

sweetbird said...

A friend in Colorado went to see it on opening day and found out that every single showing in town is sold out for two weeks.

Crazy tweens these days...

Who am I kidding? I'm going to go see it next week.

moi said...

I just saw it yesterday too. Although we had to wait an hour for the next showing as the one we wanted was sold out. I do NOT live in Small City....

rls said...

My 12-y-o HAD TO HAD TO HAD TO see it last night, and every showing was sold out until 10:45 p.m. So that's when we saw it.

My verification word is "twron," which must have some connection to "Twi-hard" - for those of you who have missed the Twilight phenomenon, that's what they call the rabid fans.

kaiwat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kaiwat said...

I don't know how I lived before Atwoods....well, I lived in the suburbs of a BIG city, so I didn't really need it.

Can't say that I've ever been interested in the Twilight dealie, but I imagine it must be fun to drop into the theater without reserving tickets weeks in advance.

http://watsourced.blogspot.com

Pat said...

Your farm store must be something like a Farm and Fleet - they carry everything. Nothing wrong with a small town - at least if they have a show! But no stadium seating? Those were the days! LOL!