Thursday, November 19, 2009

Buried Alive in Bed

We have come to a tricky time of year in regards to our bed coverings. The question at hand: To down, or not to down?

See, there comes a point every late fall where the decision is made to put the down comforter on the bed. The decision is mostly made by me, and I usually give in only reluctantly after much pleading by A. He loves the down comforter. The weight of it makes him feel cozy and safe from the admittedly brutal cold we experience in our bedroom.

However.

The weight is the problem for me. Because in addition to the down comforter, we also have flannel sheets and two wool blankets--one moderately light and one very heavy*. The combined weight of all of these coverings is substantial. And it makes me feel a little like I'm buried neck deep in a grave. It is also, however, absolutely the only way to be even moderately comfortable when sleeping in a room that holds steady at 45 degrees.

So while the down comforter is not yet on the bed, it's only a matter of time. And in the meantime, tell me, duckies: Do you like to be pinned to your bed by the weight of your covers, or do you prefer free and easy sleeping?

* Incidentally, the very heavy wool blanket was a wedding present to us from the MiL's friend Mary in MN. I know Mary reads this site, and so I would like to publicly state for her benefit that that was one of the very best wedding presents we received. Thank you for saving us from certain death in our sleep from the cold, Mary. We owe you.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know it isn't natural and I don't know if pregnant women are advised against using them ...but, electric blankets rock.

word verification 'mickmat'

the paper thingy they put on your tray at mcdonald's

Chiot's Run said...

We have a huge very heavy wool blanket my parents gave us (made by artisans in Colombia S.A.). It's wonderful, but unless the house is 55, it's toooooo hot. We lovingly refer to our blanket as "Big Nasty".

The weight of the blanket though helps me sleep so much better. I can't wait to those cold night so the house gets cold enough to use it.

We tried down once, too damn hot! I was sweating all night, perhaps if our house was 10 cooler

mil said...

My solution. The down comforter only. It's light, and with my flannel sheets, I'm entirely warm enough. Possibly one light blanket over the top to anchor the comforter without squashing the down and thereby losing heat, and you've got it made. The danger for me: I'm already having a hard time getting up--despite the time change, it's DARK. And with the down, I'll want to be in my cocoon forever.
Funny, funny word: broil (from the mistress of the unheated bedroom)

Stephanie Z said...

I like to buried under my blankets. Like A. it makes me feel cozy.

Anonymous said...

I can't sleep unless I've got some sort of blanket/sheet over me, even if the room is boiling hot. And I also have to pull it clear up to my ears. Brad really enjoys this.

Anonymous said...

It doesn't get nearly as cold here as it does up there so we have a duvet on the bed only. I like to tuck my feet up in it if it's cold, otherwise I don't like being squashed down.

Verification word: gingonch

Phoo-D said...

We've broken out the (fake) down comforter and the big wool blanket already. I'm seriously thinking about getting flannel sheets too...do you like them? I love the weight of the covers and find it very hard to leave them in the morning!

Anonymous said...

You are very welcome! I have several of the same type of heavy blanket and tend to stack them up under the down comforter. I wish that the Faribault Woolen Mills hadn't fallen on hard times or I would send the man-cub his own heavy blanket. Mary in MN

jean said...

I love the weight of the blankets. The heavier the better.

Stef said...

I like to be covered up, but not too heavy. However, I am NOT a fan of flannel sheets. ICK. I have to be able to move around and find a cooler spot during the night because my husband is like a human-furnace and he insists on snuggling up to me.

Sherry said...

What about an electric blanket, with dual adjustable heat? I LOVE mine. The newer electric blankets are much nicer than the old ones.

sweetbird said...

Uck. Heavy blankets make my claustrophobia present. I can't even sleep in a bed with normal covers tucked in - I push the covers to the center of the bed so my husband can use them and then use one of those super soft micro-plush blankets.

Anything more, or if I get wrapped up in it to tight, makes me freak out and hyperventilate.

I'm kind of nuts.

me again said...

I like to feel cuddled and cozy but hate to feel that I'm pinned down. I often kick the covers off, or at least some of them. I like the feel of flannel sheets but they make me overheat so I don't own any. One thing to consider...sometimes pregnant women feel warmer than when they're not pregnant, so you may have an easier winter! And if A. wants one more blanket than you do, just fold it in half lengthwise and he can have it on his side of the bed!
:-)
==lennie==

Daisy said...

It's the cocoon feeling - cozy, cozy,, cozy.

Anonymous said...

What about ditching some of the blankets and going Little House on the Prairie with some warmed bricks for your feet?

Pat said...

I don't like the blankets too heavy on top because it hurts my toes! My husband is like a hot water bottle. I just back into him, we spoon for awhile, then I get too hot and I'm throwing off the covers! LOL!