Saturday, January 23, 2010

Hello, Old Friend

You know how sometimes you'll eat something for a really long time and then just kind of . . . get out of the habit somehow? Not because you don't like it anymore, but because you move on and sort of forget about it? No? Just me? Whatever, roll with me here.

Last night I wandered downstairs in search of yogurt . . .

Break for confession: I actually really wanted ice cream, but since that would have required getting dressed, getting in the car, and driving 20 miles roundtrip to buy some, I decided yogurt was the next-best alternative. I have my limits.

. . . which we buy plain and flavor mostly with frozen fruit or preserves. But the last of the apricot jam in the refrigerator had been finished and I was feeling much too lazy to go ALL THE WAY into the Pit of Despair for a new jar. Which is why I dumped maple syrup in there instead.

I used to eat yogurt and maple syrup (REAL ONLY--please don't try this with Mrs. Butterworth or something) all the time. Then I didn't. And I really don't know why I stopped, because damn, is it good. Not as good as the ice cream I really wanted, but extraordinarily yummy nonetheless.

That's all. You may carry on now.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

We make maple syrup and I have never thought of eating it on yogurt. Hmmmm...will now have to try it.

word verifications - 'leryoff'

irish way of telling you to quit looking at 'em. Leryoff wit' ya.

Anonymous said...

I agree and tend to do that almost every season change. Then feel like an idiot with my so poor memory....

Moi

Linda said...

Ice cream is also my weakness. I can totally identify with your experience.

Maple syrup in yogurt? Neve4r heard of such a thing. Sounds interesting.

me again said...

I do maple syrup and yogurt frequently...with blueberries. And sometimes cinnamon too. Yum.

rls said...

I'm not sure that I'm convinced yet, but curious enough to give it a try. However, we just finished the last of our real maple syrup a week or two ago, so now I have to get more of that.

Anonymous said...

On a visit to Blackrock this summer, I was introduced to maple syrup in oatmeal. It was wonderful! Try it!

Word verification: local, obviously for this food tradition.

Anonymous said...

Yah, we do maple syrup in cream of wheat, tea, coffee, pumpkin pie , pumpkin bread, cold unsweetened cereal, ice cream, apple butter, pumpkin butter, pecan pie.....just about anything you sweeten otherwise. Sorry, second comment of the day here. We make the maple syrup. I should've left this earlier, sorry.

Chiot's Run said...

I too love yogurt with maple syrup, I love it even more topped with cinnamon glazed pecans in addition to the syrup.