Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Preserving History

Back when I first told you about Cubby's collection of sea shanties, and in particular "The Fireship," that gem of a cautionary tale for randy young sailors, I did a cursory online search to see if I could link you somewhere for the lyrics. Or, better yet, an actual performance of this wonderful song. My search failed.

I have decided, however, that I really need to rectify this shocking omission on the World Wide Web. The world needs to see the complete lyrics for this particular version of "The Fireship." So when Cubby and I sat down for our nautical songfest yesterday, I transcribed the lyrics. For you. Because I guarantee you will laugh. Yes, out loud.

I was going to insert some commentary in the midst of the lyrics--mostly along the lines of "It's what's on the inside that counts" snickersnickersnicker--but I have decided to allow you the full impact of the unadorned lyrics. Because I think they really speak for themselves.

Oh, and I'm not including the chorus because I don't think it adds much to the story in the song. Also, I, um, can't understand the accented nautical terms the guy (whose name, incidentally, is Cyril Tawney--I think that's swell) is singing. So, no chorus. I don't think you'll miss it.

And now! On with the show!

The Fireship
from Blow the Man Down: A Collection of Sea Songs and Shanties*

As Jack walked one morning Point Beach up and down
He spied pretty Polly of merry Portsmouth town
As soon as Jack seen her most beautiful face
He hies his main topsails and to her gave chase

Jack hailed her in Dutch and the signal she knew
She backed her main topsails and for him heave to
And Jack lowered his jolly boat and pulled alongside
He found madam's gangway was open and wide

Jack entered her neat little cabin and he swore, "Damn her eyes!"
What was she but a fireship rigged out in disguise
Set fire to Jack's rigging, likewise to his hull
And away to the hospital Jack had to scull

Set fire to Jack's rigging, likewise to his hull
And away to the hospital Jack had to scull
With his helm hard at starboard as he sailed along
His shipmates cried after him, "Your main yard is sprung!"

Now Jack he's reached home to Portsmouth at last
He lies on the lower deck among the low class
He lies on his back and he cries out "Oh Lord!
Wasn't that the stiff breeze when I sprung me main yard."

* Ooo! If you click on that link, you can listen to a sample of this song AND THEN BUY IT. What are you waiting for? GO.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like lyrics to a current rap song to me. No wait....this is sly and not in your face. :) Beth

word verification -sandess

sand queen's daughter

Drew @ How To Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

That's about a subtle as a very un-subtle thing.

You know, some people get their knickers in a twist about "kids' music these days", completely forgetting that music has always been loaded with stuff exactly like this.


Word verification: couke -- Sea-shanty spelling for a popular cola drink

jive turkey said...

Well, I think you know how much I love this.

Will keep this in mind the next time my mom goes on one of her "music these days is filthy" rants. Her gangway was OPEN AND WIDE?! I rest my case.

Anonymous said...

It appears there are different renditions of this same song. I found a couple on Youtube that were similar in lyrics and tone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1H7GVfoptI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3qebFpeglg&feature=related

Any of those close?

Daisy said...

With his helm hard at starboard??!!? Holy anchors, Batman, this one keeps the wind in my sails.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Those two YouTube videos seem to be essentially the same song. They're a bit different than this one, being in the first person rather than the third person. The pace of those songs is a bit less rollicking as well. Cyril Tawney does a really good job of imbuing the song with just the right note of amused bawdiness. You can almost hear the smile in his voice as he's singing certain lines.

According to the information included on "Blow the Man Down," there's a whole bunch of songs in this genre that all use the same sort of imagery and euphemisms. I like the one on that album better than the ones on YouTube.

Drew @ How To Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

How could "blow the man down" ever not have been a double entendre?


Word verification: dityms -- days spent on a home improvement project

rls said...

Her gangway was open and wide? BAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Between this and Jive Turkey's "Pay It Forward" today, it takes the sting out of a very ugly post-election day. Thanks, ladies!

Also, my verification word: equoupwo. WTF?