Thursday, November 4, 2010

Prioritizing

Have I ever mentioned before how I'm in a constant state of mentally planning my next move? Oh wait, I have. It goes beyond just planning out my (ever-more infrequent) trips to the Small City, however. This somewhat abnormal mental exercise is always in progress, so that, for instance, when I'm sitting at the table drinking my coffee, I'm thinking that when I get up, I'll bring my plate to the sink along with my cup, then grab the dirty baby bib on the table on my way out of the kitchen to put at the top of the cellar stairs to be washed, then check the woodstove while I'm in the dining room, then go upstairs to get my clothes for after my shower and while I'm upstairs I'll check my e-mail . . . you see how this goes.

Which is why I get so irritated when something doesn't go according to the admittedly a little crazy and controlling plans I make in my head. As seen this morning, when I had my first Cubby-break (the first morning nap) all planned so I could get his laundry started and while the washer was filling I could have my breakfast, and then by the time I was done eating the washer would be filled and there would be enough water pressure to take my shower and then if I was lucky, I'd have time for another cup of coffee before Cubby woke up and MAYBE even do my post.

A shower can be a hard thing to fit in with my other daily chores. That's why I was pissed when I went in to take my shower and realized the washer was still filling. Which meant not enough water for my shower. Which meant not enough time to shower after the washer was done filling. Which meant I'll have to shower during Cubby's next nap. Which meant I won't be able to get another batch of melted apple butter started during his next nap as I was mentally planning. Which meant EVERYTHING IS RUINED. I'M GOING BACK TO BED.

Okay, not really. I don't need to be committed or anything (at least I don't think so . . .), I just need to rearrange my mental plan and accept the fact that my shower will now have to wait until the afternoon nap. Unless something else unforeseen comes up. And then I'll just be dirty and grumpy and my mental plan will be all shot to hell.

Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

11 comments:

Alicia said...

I definitely do that, too. I think it comes from me being a waitress and having to prioritize 20 people's needs at any given time during my shift.

How many naps does that kid take?!

Anonymous said...

Go down to the pit of despair and turn off washer , go back up take shower, go back down turn washer on. I KNOW it is 10000 miles down and outside and down some more to the pit of despair, but hey, sometimes life is more simple than we think. Good luck to ya today. Beth

word verification - sculat

skirt culotte combo clothing

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Alicia: Three.

Beth: Actually, it was more that I needed to get the washer filled so Cubby's diapers could soak and then I could drain, refill and actually wash the diapers before he ran out. THAT'S definitely a priority.

tu mere said...

Considering the layout of the house, the water difficulties, the Cubby factor, the constant need to be doing something in the kitchen that requires not just opening cans, again, and that's because this is a big one, the Cubby factor, it's imperative that you're a planner. Any change in well laid out plans is a bummer, just because they're so thought out and time efficient. Guess you need a vacation where plans are expected to evolve and be modified, might I say even nonexistent.

Phoo-D said...

I so understand! With too much to do and a type A planning personality life is a constant updating list of plans!

FinnyKnits said...

Oh, I hear ya, sister. I'm Type-A to the core and, even if it's not vocalized, I've got a mental mind list of shit to do going at all times.

Like, right now for instance, I'm planning to take my plate to the kitchen (but leave the leftover chicken from lunch on a napkin at my desk for the dog), hit the restroom and THEN take the dog out for her afternoon office break. If, for some reason, the bus tubs in the kitchen (this is at work, lest you think I have bus tubs in my kitchen at home. Weird.) are full and I have to detour to another kitchen or GASP there are a hundred ladies in the restroom, well - I'll become internally enraged.

It's a weird little life we lead in our heads.

Good luck with the afternoon nap. Here's to hoping!

Mayberry Magpie said...

I do this, too, but with driving. I'm constantly planning/assessing/re-assesing the best/fastest route to everywhere I go. Which makes me crazy when I ride with Mr. Mom because he TOTALLY SUCKS AT THIS and never selects the best route and drives way too slow.

This skill really came in handy when I lived in Boston. I knew all the best routes (despite the fact I only lived there two years) and I killed when it came to planning a route. Seriously, no one I knew was as good as me at getting from point A to point B in the shortest time.

So I got that goin' for me.

Daisy said...

Motherhood is planned around naps. Totally true. I might plan the shower first, then the laundry next time. That still leaves you with apple butter time.

Anonymous said...

And then there are the people(me) who have no idea what it is like to have to do baby diapers in the washing machine and soak and try to shower or eat or anything else while also trying to raise a baby with dirty diapers to clean. :) But, who don't mind finding the flaw in the plan...which wasn't there. You are doin' good , girlie.
Beth

SaintTigerlily said...

I do this all the time. It isn't unusual at all and is, I believe, the sign of a very active and organized mind.

The hard part is definitely coping with our careful second by second plans being toyed with in any way. Sometimes Rob will do something to dislodge step 14 in my carefully thought out plans and I will give him a look and he will be all what?? and I will explain it to him and he will back away slowly...very slowly.

Highly organized, active...and a little crazy.

sweetbird said...

I am really glad that I'm not the only person in the universe that does this. My husband always wonders why I get irritated when little stuff doesn't go right sometimes - it's because I had the next two hours planned and now it's all gone straight to hell.