Monday, August 1, 2011

Shipping the Friendly Skies

Shortly after the debacle with the busted toy box, courtesy of Fed Ex, was cleared up, my dad asked if there was anything else we needed.

Little did he know.

The list I came up with included a Cubby-sized chair, a step stool so Cubby could reach the sink to wash his hands (once he, uh, can wash his hands--we're not quite there yet) and some coasters.

Yes. Toddler paraphernalia and cocktail accessories. That about sums it up.

The chair and the step stool were completed in what seemed to be a very short amount of time. In fact, they were completed shortly before the great family gathering in Wisconsin. So my dad, rather than ship them and go through all of that mess again, instead decided to just bring them with him on the plane and we could throw them in the car to bring them home.

The only reason he could bring them on the plane, however, is because he was flying Southwest Airlines. And on Southwest, you are still allowed two pieces of free checked luggage. Free. FREEEEE. Not $25 or $30 or whatever obscene amount most airlines are charging these days. Free. Because it is Southwest, and they are awesome*.

Both pieces of furniture made it through the trip unscathed and are now fulfilling their purpose of giving Cubby something his own size to climb on and tip over and smack his head with.

Behold, the throne of the prince. Which landed on top of the prince last night when he attempted to stand on it to make a proclamation. There were no lasting injuries to either chair or child.

"Tank" is my dad's nickname for Cubby. It's not as cute of a name as Cubby, but it is certainly appropriate.

I should mention that the chair is all handmade without nails and is made of black walnut. It's strong enough that even the adults can sit on it, incredibly beautiful, and probably way too nice for a toddler chair. Which means, of course, that it's just right for the Little Prince to sit on while he eats his Cheerios.

We dine formally at Blackrock.

Baca triumphs again.**

* They are also awesome because my dad and my brother are both Southwest pilots. And I have an aunt and an uncle that are Southwest flight attendants. They're a really great company to work for. And no, I don't work for them and nobody paid me to say this.

** Baca is the name given to my dad by my niece. We don't know why, but that was the name bestowed by the first grandchild, and so Baca he will be forever.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful work and something Cubby can hand down to his little ones some day.

Phoo-D said...

Absolutely gorgeous work. Cubby is one lucky guy!

Yes, after years of flying several times a month Southwest is the only airline on my happy list. We love Southwest.

Ann said...

Those are absolute treasures for Cubby and future generations, too.
Good carpentry is beautiful, and sturdier than plastic.

As for Baca--oh the naming power wielded by the first grandchild. Thanks to me, we had a Dedaw for decades. I was a toddler! I didnt' know what I was saying!

Anonymous said...

Great pieces of furniture, heirlooms to be.
My grandfather was "PAMP" all his life after I was born. :) Beth

Roger A. Post said...

Very nice chair! Your father's woodworking gives me something to aspire to!

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

That chair is GORGEOUS.

I love parents.

My MiL helps me with my medical billing for my practice.

Useful people who share their usefulness ROCK.

Daisy said...

These are family heirlooms. Cubby (a.k.a. Tank) will hand them down to his kids, who will hand them down to their children, and on and on.