Friday, December 2, 2022

Friday Food: In Which We Demolish a Turkey

Friday 

Short version: Leftovers, of course

Long version: Isn't the day after Thanksgiving the National Day of Leftovers? No? Well, that's what we had, anyway, federal holiday or no.

Saturday

Short version: Brisket, rice, pureed calabaza, more leftovers, canned peaches

Long version: There had been a lot of Thanksgiving leftovers, for both lunch and dinner, so I thought everyone would appreciate a turkey break. I made the brisket, rice, and calabaza, and then half the children chose turkey and various other leftovers anyway. Okay.

I ate the brisket, because I don't even like turkey freshly cooked, much less as a leftover.

The canned peaches were commercial canned peaches, not mine. We've been getting a lot of peaches from the excess commodities lately, so I put three cans in the refrigerator to chill and everyone finally got a pretty big serving of peaches. 

Sunday

Short version: Turkey enchilada casserole, peach and blueberry crisp with maple yogurt

Long version: I broke down the last of the turkey this day--six people can take care of a 22-pound turkey in five days, apparently--and used some of it to make a really big enchilada casserole. 

I didn't serve a separate vegetable, but there were lettuce and tomato. It was still my lettuce, that's been sitting in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks now, and my tomatoes, that have been slowly ripening in a box on the floor of the kitchen for over a month.

The crisp was made with a gallon bag of Nick's peaches that I had cut in half and pitted, but weren't peeled. When they thaw, the skins come right off. Of course, frozen peaches don't hold their shape when they're thawed, but who cares when they taste that good? The blueberries were a five-pound bag of Sysco blueberries that I've had for at least a year. I really need to finish them up.

We finally got a delivery of wood this day, late in the afternoon. 


The exciting moment when it all comes crashing out of the dump truck is the best part.

The boys got about half of it stacked in the hour or so before it got dark and I called them in to eat. 

Monday

Short version: Leftovers

Long version: I brought home some chicken tacos from the school lunch. A. had some of the turkey and rice soup I had made the day before, along with a couple of tacos. Calvin had the other two tacos, plus some of the leftover enchilada casserole.

Jack and Poppy had the casserole. And Cubby had the last scoop of the casserole mixed with some of the soup, to make a kind of taco turkey soup.

I had the lettuce and tomatoes left over from the night before's casserole topping with some leftover brisket.

Tuesday

Short version: Chuck eye steaks, boiled potato chunks, green salad with ranch dressing

Long version: The very last of the garden lettuce that's been hanging out in the refrigerator for at least two weeks. Ditto the dill, which has been in a jar of water that long. I also used a couple of the long-ripening tomatoes from the box on the floor.

Garden produce really is the best. I will miss mine until spring.

Wednesday

Short version: Leftovers, frozen peas, sleep

Long version: I had a headache building all afternoon at work, and by the time dinner came around at 6 p.m., the headache was a migraine, I was sick to my stomach, and all I could do was crawl into bed.

Luckily, I had already put everything in the oven for dinner. "Everything" was leftover "fish planks" (like sticks, but wider) from the school lunch, leftover brisket, leftover boiled potatoes, and the peas. By the time A. got home with Cubby, all he had to do was take it all out of the oven and let the children serve themselves.

There was also leftover chocolate cake from the school cafeteria, which of course was finished off with no problem.

I, meanwhile, slept off and on from 5:30 p.m. until 9:30 p.m., got up briefly to put on my pajamas and brush my teeth, and went back to bed until 5:30 the following morning. I woke up all better, and very happy to see that A. had cleaned up the kitchen along with feeding the children, helping with homework, and getting them all to bed.

The old-fashioned but excellent word "helpmate" comes to mind.

Thursday

Short version: Beef tri tip, spaghetti with roasted tomato sauce, leftover peas, pureed squash

Long version: The beef was a pretty small, narrow piece that I just seared, sliced thin, and then returned to the pan to cook a bit more. Then I put some of the roasted tomato sauce and butter on it.

The tomato sauce for both the spaghetti and the meat was a bag of my own sauce from the freezer. I always feel like I shouldn't start using it too early, but then, I suppose there's also no point in hoarding it.

Peas for the children, squash for the adults. That's usually the way it goes in our house.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?


9 comments:

mbmom11 said...

This week has been rough, so meals were pathetic. But everyone was fed.
Fri- Leftovers, homemade applesauce and bread added for variety. Scrambled eggs for teen boys also.
Sat- turkey mostly gone - hurrah- so bacon, biscuits, eggs, applesauce. I was very tired of cooking by this point!
Sun- pasta, garlic bread, sausage, broccoli.
Mon-fried strips, fries, applesauce.
Tues- baked chicken, rice, corn, broccoli, hash browns for picky eater who doesn't like rice.
Wed- leftover pizza from last week, grilled cheese for picky eater.
Thurs- bacon and pancakes.
Lots of baking- oatmeal bars, cookie bars, brownies, muffins. Cheese braid and coffee cake for breakfast.

Anonymous said...

My husband completed all the steps for captain upgrade for his airline. He said we needed to celebrate by taking a little mini vacation on his days off before he starts back as low man on the totem pole for his bid status for his schedule each month
Thursday: Thanksgiving meal
Friday: some frozen meals we heated up in the hotel room.
Saturday: ate at a sit down restaurant at Dollywood
Sunday: stopped for Mexican on the way home
Monday: fish, rice, and kale salad
Tuesday: breakfast casserole
Wednesday: rotisserie chicken, green beans, stuffing
Thursday: spaghetti

Andra said...

I forgot to include my name. Oops.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Andra: I figured it was you, what with the captain upgrade and all. Yeah, holidays are not going to be on the actual day for you guys for awhile, but congratulations on the upgrade anyway!

Anonymous said...

Hello, this week ate:

Friday - Leftovers

Saturday - Leftovers

Sunday - Baked salmon topped with pineapple/avacado chunks, spinach salad, rolls

Monday - Salmon patties, more salad, leftover rolls

Tuesday - Roasted peppers, onions, carrots and jalapenos with soba noodles. Spicy peanut sauce on top

Wendsday - Elk stew, cornbread, cheese

Thursday - Husband had last of the stew and cornbread, I fried up some polenta in butter and topped with pepper jack cheese and avacado slices for myself

Friday - Husband has requested that I make "meat pies" for his birthday dinner. This is basically a hamburger topped with carmalized onions and blue cheese wrapped in bread dough and baked...why he calls them meat pies I haven't the foggiest but the birthday boy will be happy so that's what matters and he can call this dish whatever he likes...roast potatoes to go with

The weekend - Not sure what my plan is for dinners...breakfast maybe???

Happy weekend everyone!

Anonymous said...

takeout
pizza
leftovers, egg rolls, cauliflower salad
chicken stir fry over rice, toast
spaghetti/meatballs, salad, garlic knots
ditto
and for tonight chicken tenders, oven fries, salad
Linda

JP2GiannaT said...

Monday: turkey noodle soup. I rolled out homemade noodles (which really aren't hard if you mix the dough in a food processor), tossed them in some home canned broth with turkey and veggies.

Tuesday: pork chops, gravy, rice, frozen peas.

Wednesday: turkey Tetrazzini. This finished off the turkey (I was able to give a lot of it away to relatives, so we didn't have a ton).

Thursday: red beans and rice with cheapo store brand sausage that's kinda kielbasa, kinda not.

Friday: fried eggs, beans, tortillas, maybe some frozen french fries. Breakfast for supper is easy, and I need easy tonight.

Anonymous said...

Kristen: Thank you! I’m so glad to not have to pretend to be a first officer or flight attendant as he practiced all the check lists and flow charts. ;)
Yes, we were happy he actually had Thanksgiving off and we’re able to take advantage of the everyone being off school and work. He is on reserve over Christmas so we anticipate a last minute call. It’s going to be an adjustment for the kids but one we have done before. The hardest part is waiting to open presents on Christmas.

Kit said...

Friday-salmon loaf, baked potatoes, coleslaw
Saturday-turkey leftovers and I made another pumpkin pie due to popular demand. No more whipped cream though.
Sunday-leftover lentil soup, muffins
Monday-enchiladas from the freezer because I was gone all day
Tuesday-barbecued pork on a bun, coleslaw
Wednesday, leftover pork, cornbread, coleslaw
Thursday-tuna in cheese sauce, baked potatoes, peas