Friday, February 3, 2023

Friday Food: It's Egg Season

Friday 

Short version: Fried eggs, leftover mashed potatoes and cheese, cucumbers with vinegar and salt, raw green beans

Long version: None of the children were all that enthused to see eggs for dinner, but, well, we had a lot of eggs thanks to the fact that my friend's chickens are laying more than she can eat. And eggs are fast.

Leftover mashed potatoes re-heated with cheddar cheese are way better than plain mashed potatoes. This was a staple of my diet during my winter pregnancy with Cubby. Very comforting and sustaining.

Saturday

Short version: Beef and bean tacos, carrot sticks

Long version: I did my Church Lady thing for our monthly Saturday Vigil Mass, while A. took the three younger kids to Cubby's basketball game about an hour away. I got home around 5 p.m. They got home about an hour later, of course starving and wanting dinner right away.

Which is why I had already made a skillet of taco meat with ground beef and pinto beans. All I had to do was heat it up in the microwave with corn tortillas and cheese.

Good thing those hungry children have such a clever mom.

Sunday

Short version: Sirloin steaks, chicken-y rice, raw green beans, sauteed green beans and onion, cookies

Long version: One of my children will only eat rice if it's cooked in chicken stock and mixed with a LOT of butter, so this was a good night for him.

I only sauteed the green beans because there was a pan on the stove left from breakfast that still had bacon grease in it. And I only added the onion to the pan because there was half an onion left from making soup in the afternoon--and we always just cook the onion, right? And then the onion, of all things, was what the children ended up fighting over.

You just never know.

In-progress food photo:


Welcome to my cast iron kitchen.

Monday

Short version: Leftovers, soup, rye crisps, cheese

Long version: The children had leftover steak and rice, plus some leftover pizza from the school lunch, and raw green beans.

A. and I had the soup I had made the day before with the leftover taco meat and beans, plus various vegetables. A very good thing I had that soup, as I was feeling the beginnings of a cold and not only did I not want to cook, I wanted to eat something soft and soothing. 

Hooray for serendipitous advance cooking.

Tuesday

Short version: Chili, tortillas and cheese

Long version: This was some well-traveled chili. I had brought it with us to Texas, frozen, kept it in the freezer there, and never used it on the trip. So it came back home with us and went right back into the freezer. It was none the worse for having been across the state line, however. 

And it's a good thing no one in Texas caught me with it, because it had beans in it. SHOCKING.

Wednesday

Short version: Scrambled eggs, bacon, bread and butter, raw green beans

Long version: I had briefly entertained the notion earlier in the day of making spaghetti carbonara with the bacon and eggs, but then I got home from work and all that ambition was definitely gone.

Bacon and fried eggs it is!

Thursday

Short version: Meatloaf, baked potatoes, roasted sweet potatoes, raw broccoli, redemption cookies

Long version: The cookie jar was empty for all of two days, and there were children asking somewhat sadly if I might possibly be able to make cookies again on my day off of work.

How quickly they become accustomed to the bottomless cookie jar.

Rapunzel and I rectified that sad situation.


Tiaras make everything taste better.

I was determined to make more-edible oatmeal-raisin cookies to redeem myself after the nasty baking powder cookies. Following the MiL's recommendation, I used the recipe on the Quaker Oats website, with the slight adjustment for high altitude noted, and they were indeed much better. Thanks, MiL.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?

13 comments:

Jenlee said...

The chicken-y rice is a staple at our house, except we add the chicken that made the stock back to the rice. I'm from SC and it's called Chicken Bog,Chicken Pilaf, or a butchered version of that, Chicken Perlo. Talk about a comforting meal.

mbmom11 said...

Fri- salad, grilled cheese for kids.
Sat- salad for husband, homemade pizza for kids
Sun- stew, broccoli, carrots, mashed potatoes, homemade bread. The bread came out wonderfully- I didn't rush it this time.
Mon- I was working the concessions stand, so I left tuna salad for husband. Kid who helped me had hot dogs and popcorn, and kids at home scavenged. I had left real food for them, but apparently, neither they nor my husband thought about using it. I was not pleased.
Tues- tacos, black beans.
Wed- concessions again, and my husband had dinner out with a guest speaker from work, so I got the kids Dominis. Everyone was happy.
Thurs- concessions again, so leftover pizza for kids and salad for husband.
I managed to avoid scrambled eggs for dinner this week- though the boys had them for breakfast several times. However, Catholic schools week means one more concessions night tonight, for the teacher- student basketball game, so I think eggs will finally make their appearance.
I made chocolate chip cookie bars this week and forgot the salt and baking soda. My sons consoled me, saying that it was just chocolate chip shortbread. Not really, but they ate it. Bless them.

Anonymous said...

takeout
chicken patties, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, garlic knots
skillet chicken/broccoli/mushrooms/noodles, carrot sticks
hot sausages, hot dogs, peaches, baked beans, roasted potatoes
kale salad, salmon patties, rice pilaf
man n' cheese, zucchini & mushrooms
and for tonight chicken sandwiches, salad
Linda

JP2GiannaT said...

I am a Texan, and I put beans in my chili.

My brother in law (also native Texan) does not. He also makes it with diced up brisket and fresh chilies and simmers it for hours, carefully supervising it.

I make mine with ground beef, chili powder, and pinto beans. To me, it's an affordable meal that I can throw together quickly. To others, it's a high art form that they bring to competitions. The "art form" chili never has beans (or macaroni...or brown sugar...), but I've chosen not to care if I'm just trying to put together a weekday meal.

All this to say...I'm not judging, lol.

Drew @ How To Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

Cooked in broth and with lots of butter is unquestionably the best rice.

And look at us, all fancy with the eggs for dinner!

Kit said...

Friday-chicken fried steak, noodles, coleslaw, apple cobbler
Saturday-turkey with cornbread crust, peas, lemon bars
Sunday-salmon, baked potatoes, peas
Monday-we were gifted some ground elk, so elk burgers, fresh bread, coleslaw
Tuesday-meatless chili (mine has beans) with cheese grated on the top, coleslaw
Wednesday-stirfried chicken and vegetables, baked potatoes
Thursday-green bean, potato, chicken soup, cornmeal muffins

Kit said...

Once I made baking powder biscuits and left out the baking powder. They weren't good. But next day, split and toasted, they were...edible. I'll take the chocolate chip shortbread please!

Daisy said...

Love your leftover mashed potatoes with cheese idea! I attempted homemade hash browns today. They were okay, but greasy. They kept sticking to the pan, so I'd add olive oil or butter, and by the time they were done cooking, well, you can imagine. I'm googling different recipes for hash browns now to find out what I can do to fix this. Hash browns should be easy, right? Right?

Anonymous said...

Dear Daisy: wait for the oil to shimmer before putting in the potatoes, and do not disturb them until a nice brown crust appears. Doing that should help. Mil

Andra said...

After a rough week last week, I actually cooked a little more this week. :)
Saturday: fish, rice, mac & cheese, and vegetable, but I don’t remember what kind. Saturday was a blur since we were all sad about having to put the beloved dog down.
Sunday: tacos, and quesadillas
Monday: leftovers and I made more quesadillas and a vegetable
Tuesday: butter chicken, rice, and broccoli
Wednesday: husband left on an overnight trip so I made him French toast and eggs before he left. Daughter had leftover butter chicken before dance, my son wanted fish, and I don’t remember what I ate
Thursday: chicken, Mac and cheese, green beans (husband home for one night before leaving again)
Friday: Husband left for another trip (Jamaica this overnight) and I have had a sinus headache all day. my daughter went to a girls night out event with the girls from her youth group and had pizza and watermelon, my son had chicken nuggets, ego waffle, and an apple, and I had a healthy choice meal. Everyone fed with st least a fruit or vegetable so I called it good. Well, the kids and I did. Not sure about my husband.

Anonymous said...

Kristin...my question is ...what is this here day off you children speak of???

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Anonymous: Ha, yes. Anytime I'm not actually at the school with them means I have nothing but time to make cookies, right? Right. :-)

Anonymous said...

If you are dealing with a surplus of eggs, we make a lot of stratas. Eggs, meat, veggies, cheese in a casserole- always a hit. Actual ingredients vary - I just call it “Eggy dish.”
-moi