Friday, October 4, 2024

Friday Food: With Cucumber Photos

Friday 

Short version: Boneless pork chops with cream gravy, rice, cucumbers with salt and vinegar

Long version: These were the chops I cut from the whole loin. All I did was fry them and make a gravy in the pan with cream, water, and cornstarch.

I had made chicken stock earlier in the day with the chicken bones from the day before, and I used that stock to cook the rice.


The Armenian cucumber plants are protesting the cooler nights with brown leaves, although we haven't had a frost to actually kill them yet.

Saturday

Short version: Cheeseburgers on homemade buns, oven fries, pickles

Long version: I was baking bread, so I made some buns. And that's why I made cheeseburgers. This time, I broiled a pan of them rather than frying them on the stove. This allowed me to make ten patties and not get grease all over the stove top. But it also required me to monitor them in the broiler on the floor, which I dislike doing.

There's really no good way to make hamburgers. At least, for the quantity I need to make.

Pickles are a pretty sketchy vegetable, but I have a lot of them, so there you go.


I made a couple more quart jars of pickles with the very last of the dill plants for the year.

Sunday

Short version: Michaelmas chicken, baked potatoes, cucumbers with salt and vinegar, stabby cake with whipped cream

Long version: This was the feast of St. Michael and All Angels, although we really just celebrate it as Michaelmas. Goose is traditional for a Michaelmas feast, but hard to come by. The chicken I roasted was over seven pounds, so I figure it wasn't too far off in size to a medieval goose.

I started making a cake several years ago for my children to stab. It's a devil's food cake, because St. Michael is traditionally depicted stabbing the devil with a sword when he cast him out of heaven. Usually I just make Grandma Bishop's chocolate cake and call it close enough, but this year I used a recipe for an actual devil's food cake. It had more liquid and more cocoa powder. I followed Grandma Bishop's method, though, and poured the hot coffee over the butter to melt it and so on. 

I didn't have any yogurt, so I used sour cream and milk. And I accidentally used a teaspoon of cornstarch instead of baking soda. I realized my mistake in time, however, so the finished cake just had a bit of cornstarch in it. No big deal.

I never make frosting for this cake, mostly because I don't want to haul out the mixer. Sometimes I just dust it with powdered sugar, which I prefer. But my family likes whipped cream more, so this time I made some with my immersion blender.

Monday

Short version: Leftovers, cucumbers

Long version: Diced leftover chicken, leftover rice, leftover gravy, all together in a skillet. And cucumbers.

Must be a work day.


I did not serve this cucumber that was hiding near the fence. It went to the chickens.

Tuesday

Short version: Chicken soup, biscuits, oatmeal-raisin cookies

Long version: I spent several hours in the kitchen this day, turning the chicken carcass into a chicken and vegetable soup--I also used the rest of the gravy in it, so it was slightly creamy--making the cookies, assembling a casserole for the next day, and on and on.

I actually ended up having to go somewhere just before dinner and didn't get home until 5 p.m. I was tempted to just slice some bread instead of making biscuits like I had planned, but biscuits don't really take that long and they do make everyone very happy. Especially important when the main course is soup.

Wednesday

Short version: Enchilada casserole, cucumbers with salt and vinegar

Long version: This was the casserole I had put together the day before. I used bull meat in it. I am SO CLOSE to the end of the bull meat. A mere, um, four years after we butchered it. Ahem.

Thursday

Short version: Baked pasta, leftovers, cucumbers with ranch dip, chocolate chip cookies

Long version: I had just a little bit of uncooked ground beef left from the hamburgers--maybe half a pound--so I browned that and added it to the roasted tomato sauce I had made on Saturday while I was baking bread. Then that went into a casserole with pasta, Parmesan, and a bunch of asadero cheese.

It's a good thing I made a whole 9"x13" pan because we ended up with two extra kids here for dinner.

The children had the pasta, along with the cucumbers and ranch dip. And the chocolate chip cookies, which also had some peanut butter in there to replace some of the butter. More protein that way, you see.

A. had the last of the enchilada casserole, plus a bowl of the chicken soup. And then some pasta.

I just had soup.

Refrigerator check:


I have nothing particular to say about this, I guess.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?

4 comments:

mbmom11 said...

Fri- I took 2 containers of leftover stew from freezer, combined them, and had enough for a meal. Mashed potatoes, biscuits.
Sat- one kid gone for marching band, other kids not hungry, so grilled cheese.
Sun- grilled chicken, green beans, rice, broccoli. I had to finish the chicken in a frying pan as I ran out of propane when the breasts were only 1/3 cooked. End of summer grilling!
Mon- leftover pork from freezer and leftover rice made into pork fried rice with assorted vegetables.
Tues-so tired - it's been a week- so used gift card for Domino's. It turned out to be half price day, and I got a free medium pizza for husband as well with bacon and black olives. Kids played it safe with cheese or pepperoni.
Wed- leftover fried chicken from freezer, chips, apples, pineapple. ( it was hot again- amazing how 85 can feel miserably hot after a few cool days!)
Thurs- boy had band and teen and I had to work concessions at the game, so leftover pizza. Teen had a bagel and Gatorade.
Maybe today life will calm down so I can cook a nice meal and not get by on my almost empty freezer. I think I have 12 lb of butter - not much else- in there!

Ringo said...

Replacing butter with peanut butter is brilliant! Thanks for that tip.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

It's so good. The recipe I use calls for 12 tablespoons of butter, so I use one stick--8 tablespoons--of butter and then about 4 tablespoons of peanut butter. I just eyeball the peanut butter, though.

Kit said...

Friday-baked cube steaks, potatoes, corn, peach pie
Saturday-kielbasa, biscuits, green beans
Sunday-cheese omelets, fresh bread, corn
Monday-sloppy joes, potato chips, green beans
Tuesday-salmon loaf, baked potatoes, peas
Wednesday-last of the cube steaks stirfried with frozen vegetables, rice
Thursday-barbecued pork (from the freezer) on a bun, green beans