Saturday, January 16, 2010

Only Happy Thoughts

We went to a friend's birthday party last night. As so often happens on birthdays, his mother related to us the story of the birthday boy's birth. And that story went something like this: The car broke down on the way to the hospital; they called an ambulance; the ambulance took awhile to arrive; she ended up giving birth in the ambulance.

It makes for a good story now, but I don't think anyone was laughing then. And I don't think this is a birth story I really care to emulate. Except the happy ending where they had a healthy baby. That part, I could live with.

3 comments:

Sherry said...

Isn't is amazing when there is a pregnant woman around, people feel a need to start telling scare stories about childbirth? Don't listen to them! You have every reason to expect to have a healthy baby with no more than the usual discomfort that is quickly forgotten when they hand your baby to you for the first time!

Daisy said...

The happy ending is always the best part. My first was due in December, so every other mom in the small Northern town had to tell me about the woman who went to the hospital in an ambulance following a snowplow and had a 30 hour labor followed by a C-section...yada, yada, yada. I met the mom, I taught her son in preschool, eventually taught her other son in 6th grade.
Word verification: sings. When people offer you these stories, plug your ears and sing "Lalalalalala I can't hear you!"

rls said...

And seriously, why do they do this? They were first time moms once, and theoretically they got kinda freaked out by the scary stories, so why do they choose to pay THAT forward?